这是用户在 2024-7-13 24:40 为 https://app.immersivetranslate.com/html/ 保存的双语快照页面,由 沉浸式翻译 提供双语支持。了解如何保存?

On a fictitious university profile, which we'll review.
在一个虚构的大学简介上,我们将对其进行审查。

And then we're going to do the big reveal.
然后我们来个大揭秘。

So at the very end, we'll make our admission decisions based on this fictitious university, Bethany Shores, BSU.
所以最后,我们会根据这所虚构的大学 Bethany Shores, BSU 做出录取决定。

And then at the end, we'll share what our individual institutions would likely do through the lens of our universities.
最后,我们将通过我们大学的视角,分享我们各个机构可能会做的事情。

Sound good? 听起来不错吧?

Sounds good. 听起来不错。

All right. 好的

And also, we're going to pay attention to some things that surprise you, some things that you expected.
此外,我们还将关注一些让你惊讶的事情,一些你意想不到的事情。

But anything that stands out, pay attention to that, we'll try to unpack that at the end.
但凡有什么突出的地方,都要注意,我们会在最后尝试解读。

All right, so I just said what we're going to do.
好吧,我刚说了我们要做什么。

There it all is. 都在这里了。

Let's talk about Bethany Shores.
让我们来谈谈 Bethany Shores。

So this is the university for whom we are considering these candidates.
因此,我们正在为这所大学考虑这些候选人。

Oh, I forgot to mention, at the end, the last applicant, each of your tables, gets to make a decision.
哦,忘了说了,最后,最后一位申请者,也就是你们的每一桌,都要做出决定。

OK? 行吗?

All right. 好的

So Bethany Shores, founded in 1856.
Bethany Shores,始建于 1856 年。

It's selective, private, and a research institution.
它是一所选拔性的私立研究机构。

It's located near an urban center, so suburban.
它位于市中心附近,所以是郊区。

Decent number of students, 7,900.
学生人数不少,有 7,900 人。

But as you can see, 6,000 undergrad, so very much concentrated in undergraduate education.
但正如你所看到的,6000 名本科生,非常集中于本科教育。

Strong liberal arts, standout professional programs in business engineering and medicine.
文科实力雄厚,商科、工程学和医学等专业课程突出。

They do meet full financial aid.
他们提供全额资助。

The FAFSA, and that now it's not called the CSS profile, but the financial aid application is required.
FAFSA,现在不叫 CSS 简介了,但需要申请经济援助。

That will mean something that you'll see demonstrated.
这将意味着你会看到一些示范。

There's a 15 to 1 student to faculty ratio. 400 student athletes, and they play NCAA Division I, men's and women's soccer, and track and field, and Division II, and all other sports.
师生比例为 15:1。有 400 名学生运动员,他们参加美国国家大学生体育协会(NCAA)一级联赛、男子和女子足球赛、田径赛、二级联赛以及其他所有体育项目。

They would like to enroll research and service-oriented students.
他们希望招收研究型和服务型学生。

And then the class profile, you can see, they've received about 25 applications.
然后是班级简介,你可以看到,他们已经收到了大约 25 份申请。

They have a 14% admission rate, and a 44%, or it's about 45%, enrollment rate.
他们的录取率为 14%,入学率为 44%,大概是 45%。

They are 43% men, 57% women, less than 1% non-binary, 29% students of color.
其中男性占 43%,女性占 57%,非二元学生不到 1%,有色人种学生占 29%。

International students represent 11%, and 27% of international students are receiving financial aid.
国际学生占 11%,27% 的国际学生接受经济援助。

They have 48 states represented, and 78 countries.
他们有 48 个州和 78 个国家的代表。

That's a really good number.
这是一个非常好的数字。

Anyway, the middle 50th percentile is a GPA of 3.62 to 3.95.
总之,GPA 在 3.62 到 3.95 之间的中间百分位数为 50%。

That's on a hung-weighted 4.0.
这是在悬挂加权 4.0 的基础上得出的结果。

The middle 50% have an SATEBRW of 710 to 780.
中间 50% 的 SATEBRW 为 710 至 780。

The mid 50% have an SAT math of 730 to 780.
中等 50%的学生 SAT 数学成绩在 730 到 780 之间。

And that all translates to an ACT composite between 30 and 34.
这一切都意味着 ACT 综合成绩在 30 到 34 之间。

Everybody feel good about Beth Nish-Jores?
大家都觉得贝丝-尼什-乔尔斯好吗?

Yeah, John, should we assume that they're testing required or testing optional?
是的,约翰,我们应该假设它们是必须测试还是可选测试?

They are testing optional.
它们是测试的可选项。

Yeah. 是啊

Yeah. 是啊

All right. 好的

So let's talk about Ada.
让我们来谈谈艾达。

Ada is a female. 艾达是一名女性。

She has dual citizenship, Australia and US.
她拥有澳大利亚和美国双重国籍。

English, first language, first parents are married.
英语,第一语言,第一父母已婚。

Shouldn't say, of course, those.
当然,不应该说那些。

English, not public, not me.
英语,不是公众的,也不是我的。

I don't know. 我不知道。

Parents are married both with university degrees.
父母已婚,均有大学学位。

She attends a public US high school. 82% of graduates continue to four years.
她就读于美国一所公立高中。82% 的毕业生继续读四年。

So it's a well-produced high school. 16% to two year.
所以这是一所制作精良的高中。16%为两年制

She has honors as an editor in chief of the Yearbook National Winner of the Peacemaker Award.
她曾担任《年鉴》主编,并荣获 "全国和平缔造者奖"。

Her GPA is 3.51, and her SAT is 1210, with 650 and 560 respectively.
她的 GPA 为 3.51,SAT 为 1210,分别为 650 和 560。

She's taken two AP courses, six were offered.
她选修了两门 AP 课程,有六门是提供给她的。

Counselor curriculum assessment is demanding.
辅导员课程评估要求很高。

And her intended major is journalism and communication, and she has a disclosed ADD accommodations.
她打算学习的专业是新闻与传播,她还被披露有注意力缺失症。

We'll bring Ada back up this profile, but let's read her essay.
我们会把艾达的资料带回去,但还是先看看她的文章吧。

And I will read that for you.
我会帮你读出来的。

[VIDEO PLAYBACK] All right, so the question, the essay prompt, was some students have a background identity, interests or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application will be incomplete without it.
[好了,这个问题的作文提示是,有些学生的背景身份、兴趣爱好或才能非常有意义,他们认为如果没有这些,他们的申请将是不完整的。

If this sounds like you, then please share your story.
如果这听起来像你的故事,那么请分享你的故事。

So the essay was optional.
因此,作文是可选的。

If this sounds like you, please share your story.
如果这听起来像你的故事,请分享你的故事。

Underneath my bed is a box of masks.
我的床底下有一盒面具。

Every morning I reach into the box and pull out a few to carry with me.
每天早上,我都会从盒子里拿出一些随身携带。

Sometimes I wear them to disguise my thoughts and emotions.
有时,我戴着它们来掩饰自己的想法和情绪。

Other times they act as a collection of faces I want to share with the outside world as I make my way through the journey of adolescence.
其他时候,它们则是我在青春期旅途中想要与外界分享的面孔的集合。

I can do it mask.
我可以做面具。

I slide this mask on at the start of every class.
每堂课开始时,我都会戴上这个面罩。

I want to prove to everyone, particularly to myself, that ADD will not be me.
我想向所有人,尤其是我自己证明,注意力缺失症不会成为我。

Sometimes ADD can have its downside, like the occasional all nighter.
有时候,注意力缺失症也有它的坏处,比如偶尔会通宵达旦。

I have to fight through because I was spending time perfecting my blog.
我必须克服困难,因为我正在花时间完善我的博客。

Procrastinator mask. 拖延者面具

I'll get to that one later.
这个我稍后再说。

That's what you did there, clever.
你就是这么做的,聪明。

Total responsibility mask.
全责面具

This is the heaviest of them all.
这是其中最重的一个。

Responsibilities build on top of one another, adding to the mask's weight.
责任层层叠加,增加了面具的重量。

Even when dealing with my parents, especially my mom and her Aussie way of doing things, my adult mask helps me keep my cool with homework, writing my blog, volunteer work, and being a teenager.
即使是面对我的父母,尤其是我的妈妈和她的澳式处事方式,我的成人面具也能帮助我在做作业、写博客、做志愿者工作和做青少年时保持冷静。

Sometimes the burdensome load of this mask is intense.
有时,这个面具的负担很重。

I just want to rip it off and enjoy being a high school kid.
我只想把它撕下来,享受当高中生的乐趣。

The behind closed doors mask.
闭门造车的面具

This is the mask I wear when cuddling my stuffed animals or kissing my poster of one direction.
当我拥抱我的毛绒玩具或亲吻我的单向海报时,我就戴着这个面具。

This is a little outdated.
这有点过时了。

Or dancing around the room singing to Taylor Swift.
或者在房间里跳舞,唱泰勒-斯威夫特的歌。

I would be mortified if anyone saw me.
如果被人看到,我会感到羞愧。

Independence mask. 独立面具

I like to think this is a perfect fit, but occasionally I enter a state of exhaustion.
我想这是一个完美的契合点,但偶尔我也会进入一种精疲力竭的状态。

At this point in time, I eagerly discard my independence mask and welcome my vulnerable mask.
此时此刻,我迫不及待地丢掉了独立的面具,迎来了脆弱的面具。

I fall into bed and turn on Netflix to watch my favorite episode of Gilmore Girls.
我躺在床上,打开 Netflix,观看我最喜欢的一集《吉尔莫女孩》。

I do that too. 我也这样做。

I don't like to wear the vulnerable mask, but it's where I need it and reminds me that I am not invincible and still need mom's help.
我不喜欢戴着脆弱的面具,但这是我需要的,它提醒我并非不可战胜,仍然需要妈妈的帮助。

Don't worry, be happy mask.
别担心,做个快乐的面具人。

I could be shopping, doing community service or just hanging with my family.
我可以去购物、做社区服务,或者只是和家人在一起。

Yes, even with my little brother or friends, I really like this mask and confidence mask.
是的,即使是和我的小弟弟或朋友在一起,我也非常喜欢这款面膜和自信面膜。

When I wear this mask, I get a shining, beaming exterior.
戴上这个面具,我的外表就会光彩照人,熠熠生辉。

It's essential in every situation, like interviews or when trying to influence friends.
在任何情况下,比如面试或试图影响朋友时,这都是必不可少的。

Sometimes I worry that I don't have a clue what I'm talking about, but with this mask, I have the confidence to share and speak from my heart.
有时,我担心自己不知道自己在说什么,但有了这个面具,我就有信心与人分享,说出自己的心里话。

Okay, essay. 好吧,作文。

Now, let's go back to...
现在,让我们回到...

All right, committee, discuss.
好了,委员会,讨论吧。

Ada's profile, as you see, and would it be helpful if on the screen I put, what's more helpful for you, the Bethany Shor's profile or Ada?
如果我在屏幕上显示贝瑟尼-肖的资料和艾达的资料,哪个对你更有帮助?

This view, okay. 这个景色,好吧。

And you guys be thinking also about what you're doing.
你们也要想想自己在做什么。

We don't have sub-paymentals.
我们没有分期付款。

I guess the first thing that comes to mind is that we just spent a disproportional amount of time reading the essay, then we probably would evaluating the academic credentials, maybe the standardized testing profile.
我想我们首先想到的是,我们花了过多的时间来阅读文章,然后我们可能会评估学历,也许是标准化测试的情况。

I mean, in any institution that I've represented, whether it's Tulane or any of the places before, really the bulk of the analysis is spent on evaluating whether or not the student has the academic credentials to be successful at a particular institution, and then we move on to things that are a little bit more subjective, like whether or not we removed one way or the other by the essay.
我的意思是,在我所代表过的任何一所院校,无论是杜兰大学还是之前的任何一所大学,分析的主要内容都是评估学生是否具备在某所院校取得成功的学术资质,然后我们再讨论一些主观性更强的问题,比如我们是否会从论文中删除这样或那样的内容。

So for me, knowing that we've got four or five other candidates that we're about to review that might have stronger academic credentials, I'm already thinking that this student probably isn't gonna be one of the more competitive candidates for Bethany Shor's.
所以对我来说,当我知道我们还有四五个候选人即将接受审查,他们的学术资历可能更强时,我已经在想,这个学生可能不会成为伯大尼-肖尔学院更有竞争力的候选人之一。

And I thought the essay was fine, it was lovely, it was cute, I thought it was authentic, seemed like it was one of those essays that was genuinely written by the student.
我觉得这篇文章很好,很可爱,很可爱,我觉得它很真实,似乎是学生真心实意写出来的文章。

I didn't hear a lot of intellectual depth in the essay, so that might influence the admission committee at some colleges and universities, but yeah, those are my gut reactions. - You should also mention that Bethany Shor's does not require a letter recommendation, but they will accept a letter.
我在文章中没有听到很多有思想深度的内容,所以这可能会影响到一些大学的招生委员会,但这些都是我的直觉反应。- 你还应该提到,贝瑟尼-肖尔学院不需要推荐信,但他们会接受一封推荐信。

So she did not take that one. - Yeah, I wouldn't do anything in terms of the letter recommendation, it's fine that she didn't submit one, I wouldn't overthink it, like oh, she must not have anyone that likes her after a letter recommendation, it's perfectly fine, and it's not required, it's not required.
所以她没有接受那封推荐信。- 是的,我不会在推荐信方面做任何事情,她没有提交推荐信也很好,我不会想太多,比如哦,她一定是在推荐信之后没有人喜欢她,这完全没问题,而且这也不是必需的,不是必须的。

I guess the first thing I would wanna talk about, and I know we saw that the GPA was a 3.51, that doesn't really tell the whole story, if you look more closely at her grades.
我想我想谈的第一件事是,我知道我们看到她的平均绩点是 3.51,但如果你仔细看看她的成绩,这并不能说明一切。

She's on an upward grade trend, so it started out a little rough, right, in ninth grade, she had pretty much all these, including a C+ for a semester grade in English compositions, that was a 3.03 in ninth grade, and then she's been steadily increasing, so 3.33 in tenth and then a 3.69, as she started to take slightly more rigorous curriculum in grade 11, and then in the 12th grade, still slightly rigorous, but not overly demanding curriculum.
她的成绩呈上升趋势,所以一开始有点不稳定,对吧,在九年级时,她的成绩几乎都是这样,包括英语作文的学期成绩是C+,九年级时是3.03分,然后她的成绩一直在稳步上升,十年级时是3.33分,然后是3.69分,因为她在十一年级时开始学习稍微更严格的课程,然后到了十二年级,课程仍然稍微严格,但要求并不过高。

So yeah, I have to root Sean, I wouldn't say the student is gonna really stand out for me in the context of our applicant pool and what Bethany Shor is looking for, I just think her SATs are a little on the lighter side, and her grades and curriculum don't do much to make me think she has the academic chops to be successful. - So one of the things that I noticed straight away was how the counselor rated the curriculum as only demanding, so that right there was a signal that the student had lots of room to stretch, but for whatever reason chose not to.
是的,我不得不承认,肖恩,我不会说这个学生真的会让我眼前一亮,在我们的申请者库中,贝瑟尼-肖尔正在寻找什么样的人,我只是觉得她的SAT有点偏轻,她的成绩和课程并没有让我觉得她有成功的学术能力。- 因此,我直接注意到的一点是,辅导员对课程的评价只是要求较高,这就意味着该学生有很大的发展空间,但无论出于何种原因,她都选择了放弃。

I think what she did though, is she tried to take courses relevant to her intended area of interest in college, and so she professes to be a writer, she showed some creativity.
不过,我认为她所做的是,她尝试在大学里选修与自己感兴趣的领域相关的课程,因此她自称是一名作家,她表现出了一定的创造力。

I think I would say that it didn't seem really like an essay to me, it was just a string of things put together, so if you're thinking about her real capacity to write in the academy, I might say, I might have approached you different, but then piggybacking on Sean's point, she probably didn't receive a whole lot of guidance, because somebody might have said, this is nice, however, are you really writing this in the spirit of what people are asking?
我想我会说,在我看来,这并不像一篇文章,它只是一连串的东西拼凑在一起,所以,如果你在考虑她在学术界写作的真正能力,我可能会说,我可能会采取不同的方法,但接着肖恩的观点,她可能没有得到很多指导,因为有人可能会说,这是不错的,但是,你真的是按照人们的要求来写的吗?

So I think, and the other thing is, when I train readers, I tell them to read the person that's in front of them, to not think about everybody else in the pool, but based on the criteria that we've given, because they may not know who's behind them, because she may shine in ways that you don't think she would, because you don't know who else is out there. - Can we go to what she does outside the classroom?
因此,我认为,还有一点就是,当我培训读者时,我会告诉他们要读懂他们面前的人,不要去想池子里的其他人,而是要根据我们给出的标准,因为他们可能不知道他们身后的人是谁,因为她可能会在你认为她不会的方面大放异彩,因为你不知道外面还有谁。- 我们能谈谈她在课堂之外的表现吗?

I mean, that might be something that can keep her, she's the editor-in-chief of the Peace Maker, or? - I think so. - Okay. - Yeah, so I think she won a Peace Maker award. - Right, so that really is connected there. - She won a what? - Peace Maker award. - Peace Maker award, okay. - And then she brought this here, a short, so I will point out, they would like to do a world research and service oriented students, so back into the play as well. - She has some sort of convenience of this work. - Does work part-time. - Yeah, I don't think we're-- - I have an impact at all. - The citizenship? - Institutional priority. - I think that citizenship being a dual citizen with Australia, I think would be something that our division committees might talk about, it might be something that could make her a little bit more interesting than other students that we might have from California. - She would also count for the US citizen numbers. - Yeah. - So that's where she would count, they would put her there first.
她是《和平缔造者》的主编,还是?- 我想是的 - 好吧- 是的,我想她得过 "和平缔造者 "奖。- 对,所以这真的有联系- 她得过什么奖?- 和平缔造者奖- 然后她带来了这个,一个简短的,所以我会指出, 他们想做一个世界研究 和服务为导向的学生, 所以回到发挥为好。- 她的这项工作有一定的便利性。- 做兼职工作。- 是啊,我不认为we're - -我有一个影响。- 公民权?- 机构优先- 我认为,作为澳大利亚的双重国籍,我认为这将是我们分部委员会可能会讨论的问题,这可能会让她比其他来自加利福尼亚州的学生更有趣一些。- 她也将计入美国公民人数。- 所以她也会被算进去,他们会把她放在第一位。

And then a student would also be eligible for any sort of US financial aid, monies that only go to US citizens and permanent residents.
这样,学生也就有资格获得任何形式的美国经济援助,而这些资金只提供给美国公民和永久居民。

So if down the line, when students are actually selected, if money is limited, that could be something that they will take into account. - So I work at the Americans with Ball Bay, and this question's asked a lot in terms of looking at applicants regionally.
因此,如果下一步真正选拔学生时,资金有限,这可能是他们会考虑的因素。- 我在 "美国球湾"(Americans with Ball Bay)工作,这个问题经常被问到,因为要看申请人的地区分布。

Are there, for lack of a word, quotas or numbers?
有没有配额或数字?

So if you will, we can accept this percentage from this region to share this based on our previous and class. - This is probably gonna be a different answer for all three of us for, if this student was applying to Tulane, Ada would be considered and reviewed by the group of folks that review the applications from Northern California, regardless of her citizenship.
所以,如果你愿意,我们可以接受这个地区的百分比,根据我们以前和班级的情况来分享这个百分比。- 如果这名学生申请杜兰大学,无论她的国籍如何,Ada 都会被负责审查北加州申请的小组考虑和审查。

So she would be evaluated within the context of all the other students that apply from the Bay area of California.
因此,她将与加州海湾地区所有其他申请学生一起接受评估。

And that's how she would be evaluated.
这就是对她的评价。

I mean, Australian citizenship might come up in a conversation, might be interesting, but her Australian citizenship would have nothing to do with how she would be evaluated within the context. - The hypothetical, let's say she's not a US citizen, she's just Australian. - Yeah, still, same thing.
我的意思是,澳大利亚公民身份可能会在谈话中出现,可能会很有趣,但她的澳大利亚公民身份与如何评价她无关。- 假设她不是美国公民,只是澳大利亚人。- 对,还是一样。

We evaluate, and I don't wanna speak to the other two, but for us, we evaluate you within the context of the school and the region in which you live.
我们会对你进行评估,我不想对其他两个人说什么,但对我们来说,我们是在学校和你所生活的地区的背景下对你进行评估的。

And we don't have a quota for any particular state or countries, or a limit or maximum or minimum. - Exactly. - Yeah, the same.
我们没有为任何一个州或国家规定配额,也没有限制或上限或下限。- 没错。- 是的,一样。

I think one thing we do think about is, as we are selecting a class, and if we desire broad representation throughout the world, we may look to see that, oh, we've never seen a student from this region or this province, and that could be something that seems attractive. - Indiana is the same.
我认为,我们在选择班级时,如果希望在全世界范围内具有广泛的代表性,我们可能会考虑,哦,我们从未见过来自这个地区或这个省份的学生,这可能是看起来很有吸引力的事情。- 印第安纳州也是如此。

I would say if this was at an institution that is meeting full aid, that may come into play just given exchange rates, you know, the value of currency from one country to another, that may factor in.
我想说的是,如果这是在一个满足全额援助的机构,考虑到汇率,你知道,从一个国家到另一个国家的货币价值,这可能会发挥作用。

But yeah, US citizens, if they are US citizens, they, to Katie's point, do count for us. - US numbers.
但是,是的,美国公民,如果他们是美国公民,就像凯蒂说的,他们确实算我们的人。- 美国人数。

But imagine if her essay had been something about comparing journalism in Australia versus California or the US, and how that impacts how she thinks, or something like that.
但试想一下,如果她的文章是关于比较澳大利亚与加利福尼亚或美国的新闻业,以及这对她的思维方式有何影响之类的。

That would have been, to me, a more compelling essay. - So, I just wanna, you guys mentioned that the trend in her GPA, I don't think that the slide we got to see. - No, we have the file. - Oh, okay, okay. - If we went through this, start to finish, you guys would be your own. - Okay, okay. - So, you're getting the digest, and this is really meant to prepare you ultimately for your mock admissions.
对我来说,这样的论文更有说服力。- 所以,我只是想,你们提到了 她的GPA趋势,我不认为 我们看到的幻灯片。- 不,我们有文件。- 哦,好吧,好吧。- 如果我们从头到尾看一遍 你们就会明白了 If we went through this, start to finish, you guys would be your own.- 好吧 好吧 Okay, okay.- 所以,你得到的文摘, 这真的是为了准备你 最终为您的模拟录取。

What you guys are doing in there.
你们在里面做什么?

Great. 好极了

Oh, yeah, sorry. - I have a question.
哦,是的,对不起。- 我有个问题

You mentioned that the demanding curriculum that was written in terms of curriculum something that was aimed to context and decision.
你提到,在课程设置方面,编写的课程要求很高,而这些课程是针对背景和决定而编写的。

As a revenue school, where all the students needed to come up, I always kind of struggle with what to put for a particular student.
作为一所收入学校,所有的学生都需要上来,我总是有点纠结,不知道该给某个学生放什么。

Obviously, in my mind, most of them are doing a very demanding curriculum.
显然,在我看来,他们中的大多数人都在学习要求非常高的课程。

And then sometimes I'll put most of the students who are doing higher on the map, or sciences plus math all higher level, right?
有时,我会把大部分成绩较好的学生放在地图上,或者科学加数学都在较高水平,对吗?

Would you say that that's more of, would that be accepted, or do you think that there should be more differences in how we allocate demanding, very demanding, etc? - That's a tough one, because I can't think, I'd be hard pressed to select demanding for any student who is in an IB diploma program.
你是说这更多的是,这将被接受,还是你认为我们在如何分配 "高要求"、"非常高要求 "等方面应该有更多的差异?- 这个问题很难回答,因为我想不出,我很难为任何 IB 文凭课程的学生选择 "要求较高"。

Regardless of what some superstar in your class might be doing, I mean, the IB diploma program is certainly not just simply demanding. - Right, and I could see again, I'd be very and most demanding, and I do like how you're distinguishing the HL courses.
不管你们班上的某个超级明星在做什么,我的意思是,IB文凭课程当然不仅仅是要求高那么简单。- 是的,我可以再看一遍,我的要求非常高,而且是最苛刻的,我很喜欢你对HL课程的区分。

And I think sometimes we see students having a mix.
我想,有时我们会看到学生们混合在一起。

You know, they might dabble here, dabble there, and so you may not perceive it to be the most demanding.
你知道,他们可能会在这里掺和一下,在那里掺和一下,所以你可能不会觉得这是最苛刻的要求。

And again, within the context of your school, I think that's the thing that's also really important, is that you're telling us within your community, based on your offerings, how you're guiding, what do you see it as?
同样,在你们学校的范围内,我认为这也是非常重要的一点,那就是你们要告诉我们,在你们的社区内,根据你们提供的服务,你们是如何指导的,你们认为它是什么?

So I think that's really important. - I think what you're doing makes a lot of sense.
因此,我认为这一点非常重要。- 我认为你的做法很有道理。

Within NWA's review process, we generally see most IB diploma candidates as most demanding.
在 NWA 的审查过程中,我们通常认为大多数 IB 文凭候选人的要求最为苛刻。

We see that that's to be an incredibly rigorous curriculum, and so we don't really put a lot of weight, except for attendant and stern, in terms of like what courses they chose to take a higher level.
我们认为,这是一门非常严格的课程,因此,除了随班就读和严苛的要求外,我们并不太看重他们选择了哪些更高水平的课程。

But if they take, let's say like perhaps four HLs, instead of the required three, that would be even higher than most demanding, right?
但是,如果他们选修的是四门高中课程,而不是规定的三门,那就比大多数要求更高了,对吗?

Which would be, you know, obviously, something that we would look at, but it's not expected, I assure you.
很显然,我们会考虑这一点,但我向你们保证,这不是我们的预期。

So. - Is that different that you evaluate to the IB curriculum that for a downward student who take a four HL course, and another IB student who then takes three?
你对国际文凭课程的评价是,一个学习四门高级课程的低年级学生和另一个学习三门课程的国际文凭学生有什么不同吗?

Is that different when you evaluate to that student? - Good, yeah, it looks like different. - Right, and I think it depends.
你对那个学生进行评估时,情况是否有所不同?- 很好,是的,看起来不一样。- 对,我认为这要看情况。

And we're gonna say that a lot, and you probably already heard it a lot, and we're just representing a subset of many top US institutions, and everything is global in terms of how they've received it, what their applicant pool is, what their level of selectivity, if they're applying to a specific program that might have women at seats, where that could also be a distinguishing factor.
我们会经常说这句话,你可能也已经听过很多次了,我们只是代表了许多美国顶尖院校中的一个子集,从他们的接收方式、申请者群体、选择性水平、是否申请特定项目等方面来看,一切都是全球性的,而这些项目可能会有女性席位,这也可能是一个突出的因素。

But I think it's not just taking the courses, I'm gonna just go back to this performance of the student, it's the performance.
但我认为,这不仅仅是选课的问题,我还是要回到学生的表现上来。

So somebody could be in all HL, they could have really good landing, but if their grades are idling, they're having fours, it's like, okay, then maybe they should be making their preferred choices so that they can thrive within the coursework that they're taking. - Say one more, and then yeah. - I thought of the theoretical method, like I'm always concerned because I would choose not to have the choice, any choice, or what to do. - Yeah, and also keep in mind that sometimes they may be taking overlay with a national curriculum, and so that can increase rigor as well, or mixed curriculum.
因此,有人可能参加了所有的高中课程,他们可能有非常好的着陆,但如果他们的成绩是空的,他们有四个,这就像,好吧,那么也许他们应该做出自己喜欢的选择,这样他们就可以在他们正在学习的课程中茁壮成长。- 再说一个,然后就好了。- 我想到了理论方法,比如我一直很担心,因为我会选择没有选择,没有任何选择,或者做什么。- 是的,还要记住,有时他们可能会选修与国家课程重叠的课程,这样也能提高课程的严谨性,或者混合课程。

So it really is, we're looking for context from counselors in that question of how you guys make your call, but also keep in mind from the sessions yesterday, we're gonna use your school profile, we're gonna use histories that we have with other students from your school to see how are they performing.
因此,在你们如何拨打电话的问题上,我们正在从辅导员那里了解情况,但也要记住,在昨天的会议上,我们会使用你们学校的资料,我们会使用你们学校其他学生的历史记录,看看他们的表现如何。

So there's a lot that comes into play here, it's not just a single thing. - Real quick. - I think it's kind of, I'll even ask, if we are so low, they allow us three high levels? - Yep. - In very, very, very, very rare instances, they allow us four, and then maybe some other, so that's something we put on the school profile. - Perfect, that's exactly right, yeah.
所以,这里涉及到的东西很多,并不只是一件事。- 真快- 我甚至想问,如果我们的级别这么低,他们允许我们有三个高级别吗? - 是的。- 在非常非常非常罕见的情况下,他们允许我们有四个,然后可能还有一些其他的,所以这是我们写在学校简介上的东西。- 很好,完全正确,是的。

Yep, we're gonna put it on the profile.
是的,我们会把它放在简介里。

All right, let's look at Khalid.
好吧,我们来看看哈立德。

He is a male student from Saudi Arabia.
他是一名来自沙特阿拉伯的男生。

He speaks Arabic natively, English proficiently, and moderate Spanish.
他的母语是阿拉伯语,能说流利的英语和适度的西班牙语。

His parents are very, both old bachelor's degrees, or higher.
他的父母都很优秀,都有学士学位或更高学历。

He attends a private high school, which offers 11 AP courses.
他就读的私立高中提供 11 门 AP 课程。

So we got a lot. 100% of students from school attend university.
因此,我们得到了很多。100%的学生都能上大学。

His honors include various model UN, so he's held office positions, various office positions there.
他的荣誉包括各种模范联合国,因此他在那里担任过各种办公室职务。

GPA is a 3.93, SAT 1460, with 760 and 700, respectively.
GPA 为 3.93,SAT 为 1460,成绩分别为 760 分和 700 分。

He's taken six AP, oh, that's a type of 19 offered, there were only 11.
他拿了 6 份 AP,哦,那是一种 19 份的报价,只有 11 份。

He's taken six AP courses, six of 11, and the counselor curriculum assessment is undemanding.
他选修了六门 AP 课程,11 门课程中的六门,辅导员课程评估要求不高。

Intended major is political science and engineering.
打算主修政治学和工程学。

And let's read his essay.
让我们读读他的文章。

Yeah, exactly. 是啊,没错。

All right. 好的

Some students have a background or story that is so central to their identity that they believe their application would be incomplete without it.
有些学生的背景或故事对他们的身份非常重要,他们认为如果没有这些背景或故事,他们的申请就不完整。

If this sounds like you, please share your story.
如果这听起来像你的故事,请分享你的故事。

I stand out, some people want to fit in.
我很突出,有些人却想融入其中。

I instead strive to be exceptional.
相反,我努力做到出类拔萃。

Physically, I do that without much effort.
在身体上,我不费吹灰之力就能做到这一点。

There are not too many six foot four inch blue eyed arrows.
六英尺四英寸的蓝眼睛箭头并不多。

And my goal is to impact.
我的目标是产生影响。

I should say these are all redacted through essays from students.
应该说,这些都是通过学生的作文编辑而成的。

This summer, my passion for UN model United Nations led me to China along with six other students from my school.
今年夏天,我对模拟联合国的热情让我和学校的其他六名学生一起来到了中国。

This would be my first conference in a country whose language I didn't speak and I was eager to attend.
这将是我第一次在一个语言不通的国家参加会议,我很想参加。

It was also a chance to explore China as we would be visiting Shanghai and Xi'an before attending the conference in Beijing.
在北京参加会议之前,我们将访问上海和西安,这也是一次探索中国的机会。

When we arrived in Shanghai, I was surprised to find that we drew even more attention than usual wherever we went, heads would turn our way.
当我们抵达上海时,我惊讶地发现,我们比往常更加引人注意,无论走到哪里,人们都会把目光投向我们。

Some people would point at us and giggle, others just stared, still others took pictures with us.
有些人指着我们傻笑,有些人只是盯着我们看,还有些人和我们合影留念。

We were joined by other delegations, but we were the only Arabs in our group.
其他代表团也加入了我们的行列,但我们是团队中唯一的阿拉伯人。

This gave me mixed feelings.
这让我百感交集。

It meant that we would be unique.
这意味着我们将是独一无二的。

It also meant that we were alone.
这也意味着我们是孤独的。

Personally, I was excited because I knew for a fact when surrounded by others like you, you don't go out of your way to meet someone new.
就我个人而言,我很兴奋,因为我知道,当周围都是和你一样的人时,你是不会去结识新朋友的。

In addition to us, the larger group was made up of students from Colombia, Peru, and Russia.
除了我们之外,还有来自哥伦比亚、秘鲁和俄罗斯的学生。

With such a mixed cohort, it was tough to break the ice.
面对这样一个鱼龙混杂的团队,要打破僵局并不容易。

It made my, I made it my personal duty to bring us all together by first entertaining everyone.
这让我,我个人的责任是首先招待好大家,让大家聚在一起。

I led my group in chants and song encouraging the others to join in.
我带领我的团队吟唱歌曲,鼓励其他人加入进来。

I told anecdotes and jokes out loud so that everyone was included.
我大声讲述趣闻轶事和笑话,让每个人都参与其中。

The others actually told me they were drawn to my gregarious nature as it sparked interest in me and my group.
实际上,其他人告诉我,他们是被我好客的性格所吸引,因为这激发了他们对我和我的团队的兴趣。

Soon their inhibitions were shattered and they joined us and they joined us.
很快,他们的禁忌就被打破了,他们加入了我们,加入了我们。

In the end, we had made lasting friendships with people who lived across the globe.
最后,我们与生活在世界各地的人们建立了持久的友谊。

Despite our differences, we all felt at home.
尽管存在分歧,但我们都有宾至如归的感觉。

During the actual conference, I was once again thrown into a situation where I was alone.
在实际会议期间,我又一次陷入了孤军奋战的境地。

My form consisted of 25 people, 22 of whom were Han Chinese.
我所在的班级共有 25 人,其中 22 人为汉族。

My challenge was to succeed as a delegate and integrate myself into a group, into the group.
我所面临的挑战是,作为一名代表,如何成功地将自己融入团队,融入集体。

Two opposing resolutions were put forward.
会上提出了两项相反的决议。

One was my, the other written by a Chinese delegate and it was obvious the other Chinese delegates would support him.
一个是我写的,另一个是中国代表写的,其他中国代表显然会支持他。

I used my immune prowess to persuade everyone to vote for my resolution.
我利用自己的免疫能力说服大家投票支持我的决议。

However, they did not want to leave their comfort zone.
然而,他们并不想离开自己的舒适区。

Instead of confrontation and coercion, I decided to try diplomacy.
我决定尝试外交手段,而不是对抗和胁迫。

I proposed merging our two resolutions.
我提议合并我们的两项决议。

This was an opportunity to add more of my thoughts and prove on both of our ideas.
这是个机会,我可以补充我的想法,并证明我们双方的想法。

The simple maneuver landed me an outstanding delegate award.
这个简单的动作让我获得了优秀代表奖。

I have been described as a leader my whole life by teachers and fellow students, but this was the first time I actually felt like one.
我一生都被老师和同学称为领导者,但这是我第一次真正感觉到自己是领导者。

Not only did I accomplish what people need to do, I learned that being a leader entails getting the task done, as well as developing trust and rapport with the people I work with.
我不仅完成了人们需要做的事情,还懂得了作为一名领导者,不仅要完成任务,还要与同事建立信任和融洽的关系。

The friendships I developed will forever remind me of the universality of human nature.
我建立的友谊将永远提醒我人性的普遍性。

The additional information is just, he had an internship, it's all in his profile.
附加信息只是他有过实习经历,这些都在他的个人资料中。

And I believe he did submit a rec letter.
我相信他确实提交了一封推荐信。

Yes. 是的。

It's long, so we're not gonna read it. (laughing) But here you go.
很长,我们就不读了。给你

Aleve has received so many accolades that only some will be mentioned.
Aleve 获得了众多赞誉,在此只提及其中一些。

He was chosen a representative delegate from Imperial, I assume that's Imperial College.
他被选为帝国理工学院(Imperial,我猜是帝国理工学院)的代表。

At Mollard United Nations conferences in the United States, Jordan and China, he has three times received the best delegate award at an international intergy conference.
在美国、约旦和中国举行的莫拉德联合国会议上,他三次获得国际间音乐会议最佳代表奖。

I was in English, I don't know, I have no idea what that meant.
我说的是英语,我不知道,我不知道那是什么意思。

In Jordan, probably it was one of two students chosen to participate among foreign ministers and ambassadors, a boy who's keenly interested in theory and practice.
在约旦,他可能是被选中参加外长和大使会议的两名学生之一,一个对理论和实践都非常感兴趣的男孩。

He will flourish, he has it all, intelligence, blah, blah, blah, blah.
他将茁壮成长,他拥有一切,智慧,等等等等。

Yeah, what's that? 是啊,那是什么?

Oh, sorry. 哦,对不起。

Okay. 好的

So, committee discuss. 因此,委员会进行讨论。

Number one, a leap to the grades to really better understand the curriculum, a leap to the transcript to better understand the curriculum, 'cause checking on demanding for a student that has this kind of standardized testing profile, these kind of grades just seem odd.
第一,通过成绩来更好地了解课程,通过成绩单来更好地了解课程,因为对于这样一个标准化考试成绩很高的学生来说,这样的成绩看起来很奇怪。

Yeah, 'cause I mean, maybe the counselor, either the counselor is a little harsh here, or this is a really powerhouse school.
是啊,因为我的意思是,也许辅导员, 要么是辅导员在这里有点苛刻, 或者这是一个真正的强校。

Yeah, these things directly from the common, yeah.
是的,这些东西直接来自普通人,是的。

On demanding? 苛求?

Yeah. 是啊

We would not agree with that assessment.
我们不同意这一评价。

You might be a little bit more kind to the student. (laughing) Yeah, there's like a mix of eight keys, there's a bunch of honors, there's honors pre-cal, there's English honors in 11th grade.
你可能会对学生好一点。(笑)是啊,这里有八门功课,有很多优等生,有预科优等生,11 年级还有英语优等生。

The grades are also in a bit of an upward trend, so they started out with mostly Bs, a couple of As, then it's As and Bs, and then all As in 11th grade, so yeah, that's pretty solid.
他们的成绩也呈上升趋势,一开始大部分是 B,有几个是 As,然后是 As 和 B,到了 11 年级全部都是 As,所以是的,那是相当稳固的。

And this could be an example of locally, within a school, he might not be perceived to be taking the best curriculum.
这可能是一个例子,说明在学校内部,他可能被认为没有采用最好的课程。

Maybe the counselor had advised him to do something else, and maybe other kids do a little bit more, or a little bit more than a cycle.
也许辅导员建议他做其他事情,也许其他孩子做得更多一些,或者比一个周期做得更多一些。

But what did you find out?
但你发现了什么?

Anything else on that? 还有其他问题吗?

Oh, let's look at the schoolwork file.
哦,我们来看看学校作业档案。

And SELVE is a country that requires national curriculum as well, so this would be a little bit.
而 SELVE 也是一个需要全国性课程的国家,所以这将是一个小问题。

Yeah, I don't know why they're going to use it.
是的,我不知道他们为什么要用它。

We don't know, so that's a distance.
我们不知道,所以这是一个距离。

It's a little harsh. 这有点苛刻。

Yeah, and I think that's an example of the carefulness in which the readers would review it, so that while we're drawn to it, if the evidence seems to leave us somewhere else, we may assume, maybe they just checked the wrong box, or if we look at the school profile, who doesn't connect?
是的,我想这就是读者审阅时会小心谨慎的一个例子,所以当我们被它吸引时,如果证据似乎让我们离开了其他地方,我们可能会假设,也许他们只是选错了框,或者如果我们看看学校概况,谁没有联系?

So it wouldn't be used against the student if the other evidence really supports that the student has been in a stronger profile.
因此,如果其他证据确实证明该学生的情况更严重,就不会对其不利。

I'll just mention everyone.
我就提提大家吧。

So when the student, in 11th grade, they took two APs, and as I said, the honors, they took AP Chem and AP Economics, so either Micro or Micro, I'm not sure, in 11th grade, and like I said, they got all A's that year, but when they decided to take a few more in 12th grade, so they're in four this year, so AP Biophysics Week and Calc AP, oh, I'm sorry, they're in three APs this year, and then I guess A-level Arabic, so, yeah, interesting.
因此,当学生在 11 年级时,他们选修了两门 AP 课程,正如我所说的,荣誉课程,他们在 11 年级选修了 AP 化学和 AP 经济学,所以不是微观就是微观,我不确定,正如我所说的,他们那年全得了 A,但当他们决定在 12 年级时再选修几门,所以他们今年选修了四门,所以 AP 生物物理周和 Calc AP,哦,对不起,他们今年选修了三门 AP,然后我猜是 A 级阿拉伯语,所以,是的,很有趣。

All right, so they're taking one A-level class.
好吧,他们要上一门 A 级课程。

When they decided to kind of do a little bit more demanding curriculum in 12th grade, their grades did flip a little bit in the fall term, so they went down to A's and B's, so kind of a mix, so there's something to think about. - Hollad was really compelling to me for a variety of different reasons.
当他们决定在十二年级学习要求更高的课程时,他们的成绩在秋季学期确实发生了一些变化,因此他们的成绩降到了 A 和 B,所以是一种混合成绩,这值得思考。- 出于各种不同的原因,霍拉德对我来说真的很有吸引力。

I mean, the academic portfolio, the transcript, the testing, the international diversity that he'd bring to, you know, if I'm evaluating him for either Tulane or Bethany Shores, impact outside the classroom, there are a lot of compelling things about him, but one of the things that you folks haven't seen yet is there is one letter of recommendation that they received where a counselor expresses concern about his concern for others.
我的意思是,他的学业成绩、成绩单、考试成绩、国际多样性,如果我评估他是否适合杜兰大学或伯大尼庄园大学,课堂之外的影响,他身上有很多令人信服的地方,但你们还没有看到的一点是,他们收到的一封推荐信中,一位辅导员表达了对他关心他人的关切。

There was a check box, a check made in one of the letters of recommendation that suggests that he might not be the nicest person or the greatest citizen in his school.
在其中一封推荐信中,有一个复选框打了钩,表明他可能不是学校里最好的人或最优秀的公民。

One of the letters of recommendation provided cause for pause, and it would have definitely been something that our admission committee probably would have spent a lot of time talking about, hunting around the application, looking for other evidence or other folks that may have expressed concern about his citizenship, not his citizenship, but his community citizenship within his school. - I think it showed in his essay. - Yeah. - Yeah. - And it's the point, let me comment on that essay.
其中一封推荐信引起了我们的怀疑,我们的招生委员会肯定会花很多时间来讨论这件事,在申请表上寻找其他证据或其他可能对他的公民身份(不是他的公民身份,而是他在学校的社区公民身份)表示关注的人。- 我认为这在他的论文中有所体现- 这就是重点,让我来评论一下那篇文章。

There was so much in that essay.
这篇文章写了很多东西。

So much to chew on in it.
里面有太多值得咀嚼的东西。

And I think maybe what we're seeing is a tad of arrogance, but we also tell students that we want them to put themselves out there to tell their story.
我想,也许我们看到的是一丝傲慢,但我们也告诉学生,我们希望他们把自己放在那里,讲述自己的故事。

So like what's that fine line between them doing it in a way that seems palatable and weighs in my stretch?
那么,在他们以一种看似合情合理的方式做这件事的同时,又在我的伸展范围内掂量掂量,这之间的细微差别是什么呢?

But if I'm being generous about what he wrote, I could see, having been, I'll just say, as a black person going to China for the first time, people were very struck by me as I was walking around.
但是,如果我对他写的东西持宽容态度的话,我可以看到,作为一个第一次来中国的黑人,当我走来走去时,人们对我印象非常深刻。

You know, I had the opportunity to go to Riyadh and be in that environment that's very patriarchal.
你知道,我曾有机会去利雅得,置身于那个父权至上的环境中。

And even today, you know, what does that mean and how does that inform how he sees the world and how he writes about it?
时至今日,你知道这意味着什么吗?他是如何看待这个世界以及如何描写这个世界的?

So I think I just say that because we also try to assemble a team of people who are reading files, who have experiences, different lenses that they could bring to this, where they can say, well, wait a minute, you know, it's maybe awkward for me, but Sean will say, well, but hey, Adele, are you seeing something else?
我之所以这么说,是因为我们也在努力组建一个由阅读文件的人组成的团队,他们有经验,有不同的视角,他们可以说,等一下,你知道,这对我来说可能很尴尬,但肖恩会说,好吧,但是,嘿,阿黛尔,你看到的是别的东西吗?

So this also just gives you an example of how we're reading it and then how we're collecting this information.
因此,这也只是举例说明我们是如何读取和收集这些信息的。

Yeah. - Yeah, a couple of the recs do mention that he's a little loud, too confident, bit arrogant, that type of thing.
是啊 有几个推荐人说他有点大嗓门 太自信 有点傲慢之类的

And Sean, you mentioned the thing about the concern of others, they also said he was only good for faculty respect, so that's also interesting.
肖恩,你提到了其他人的担忧,他们也说他只对尊重教师有好处,这也很有意思。

You don't see that very frequently, usually it's a little higher on the scale. - Interesting also that the letters of recommendation were optional, he had more than one, I think that also speaks to confidence, not, I wouldn't call that arrogance at all.
这种情况并不多见,通常要高一点。- 有趣的是,推荐信是可选的,但他有不止一封,我认为这也说明了他的自信,而不是傲慢。

And he clearly chose people who knew him, so yeah.
他显然选择了认识他的人,所以是的。

What's that? - Was yours made for him? - Well, that's the question to be turned, we haven't seen it in a while, right? - Oh, sure. - What are you thinking about?
那是什么?- 你的是为他做的吗?- 这是个问题,我们好久没见了,对吧?- 哦,当然- 你在想什么?

(audience laughing) All right.
好吧

Oh, sorry, yeah. - I just wanted to make a quick comment, so I've been involved in Mollye Mollye on for 15 years, and from the tone of the essay, I could tell that he's a very particular, very different profile, he's like the aggressive, very intensive, he wants to include, like just wants to win, and really doesn't care about being positively, but he's about imposing his idea.
哦,对不起,是的。- 我只想简单说几句,我参与《莫利莫利》已经有 15 年了,从文章的语气中,我可以看出他是一个非常特别、非常与众不同的人,他就像一个咄咄逼人、非常密集的人,他想把自己包括进去,就像只想赢,真的不在乎是否积极,但他就是要把自己的想法强加于人。

So like, that's something that came out clear (coughing) on the essay, and I work with his guests, and I'm so confident that they're a different type, and this is what I wanted them to reflect on the essay. - And I'll just say, I appreciate that insightfulness, and one of the things that we'll have to discuss is how much does that matter?
我和他的客人一起工作,我很自信他们是与众不同的类型,这就是我想让他们在文章中反映出来的东西。- 我只想说,我很欣赏这种洞察力,我们要讨论的一件事是,这有多重要?

If we think it's a really strong student who's academically able, who is really aligned with our mission and values, and what we're trying to achieve, let's think about that. - And what we can teach, maybe we can teach him a little bit of humility. - And we also didn't mention that he's an international student, just putting that out there, so Saudi Arabia's a citizenship. - And that definitely does have a cultural influence, so. - Great.
如果我们认为这是一个非常优秀的学生,学业成绩优异,与我们的使命和价值观以及我们所要实现的目标非常吻合,那就让我们考虑一下。- 我们可以教他什么,也许我们可以教他一点谦逊。- 我们也没有提到他是一个国际学生,只是把这一点说出来,所以沙特阿拉伯是一个国籍。- 这肯定会有文化影响,所以。- 好极了

Let's talk about Gerald Wu.
让我们来谈谈杰拉尔德-吴。

Alright, Gerald is a male US citizen, but abroad.
好吧,杰拉尔德是一名男性美国公民,但在国外。

Parents are married, both hold bachelor's degrees or higher.
父母已婚,均持有学士或以上学位。

He speaks native English and is fluent in Chinese.
他的母语是英语,中文也很流利。

Attends International Division of High School in Shanghai, which offers IV and AP, students may not take both. 99% of students from school attend university.
就读于上海中学国际部,该校提供 IV 和 AP 课程,但学生不能同时选修。该校 99% 的学生升入大学。

Three AP courses, there are 16 offered, he's taken three, but there are a limit of seven, or, what's the limit?
三门AP课程,一共有16门,他选了三门,但最多只能选七门,或者,最多只选几门?

Of seven per year. 每年七次。

In honors, yeah. 在荣誉方面,是的。

In honors, he does have an AP scholar award.
在荣誉方面,他确实获得了 AP 学者奖。

Is a GPA of 3.96, an SAT of 1490, 770 respectively.
平均绩点为 3.96,SAT 分别为 1490 分和 770 分。

The counselor for economic assessment is very demanding, and his intended major is biological sciences and pre-med.
经济评估顾问的要求很高,而他的意向专业是生物科学和医学预科。

One thing that I want to keep reminding is what Bethany Shores is looking for, research and service oriented students.
我想提醒大家的一点是,贝瑟尼庄园正在寻找的是以研究和服务为导向的学生。

Discuss. (laughing) Oh, essay, sorry, I need to read the essay. (laughing) My turn, my turn still, alright. (laughing) Alright, recount, the question here is recount, an incident or time when you experienced failure.
讨论。(哦,作文,对不起,我要读作文。(轮到我了,还是轮到我了,好吧。(笑)好吧,回忆一下,这里的问题是回忆一下,你经历过失败的事件或时间。

How did it affect you, and what lessons did you learn?
它对你有什么影响,你又学到了什么教训?

So, Bethany Shores, by the way, has several prompts you can choose from, so this is the one he's chosen.
顺便说一下,贝瑟尼海岸有几个提示可以选择,这是他选择的一个。

When I recruit new students for the Model UN, the new UN, (laughing) which honestly is not unusual, let me see, a lot of new ones.
当我为模拟联合国招收新生时,新的联合国,(笑)说实话,这并不稀奇,让我看看,有很多新的联合国。

I often get embarrassed explaining how I became involved.
在解释我是如何参与其中时,我常常感到尴尬。

Two years ago, my friend introduced me to the UN as some club about international stuff.
两年前,我的朋友向我介绍了联合国这个关于国际事务的俱乐部。

But what really attracted me were the field trips.
但真正吸引我的是实地考察。

It had to other cities.
在其他城市也是如此。

I soon realized that the UN was a lot more than that.
我很快意识到,联合国的作用远不止于此。

Toward the end of my sophomore year, my team members and I began preparing for the largest UN conference in China.
大二快结束时,我和我的团队成员开始为中国最大的联合国会议做准备。

Beijing, a native English speaker and skilled debater.
北京,英语为母语,辩论技巧娴熟。

Being a native English speaker and skilled debater, I was filled with confidence.
作为一名以英语为母语的人和辩论高手,我充满了自信。

Little did I know that I was about to come face to face with some of the world's top UN members.
我不知道,我即将与一些世界顶级的联合国成员面对面。

The real challenge had just begun.
真正的挑战才刚刚开始。

Properties of the semicolon. - That's an extra credit. - The UN conference took place in the summer of 2013 in Beijing.
分号的性质。- 这是额外的学分。- 联合国会议于 2013 年夏天在北京举行。

I realized arrogantly that I had underestimated my competitors. 2,500 delegates from all over the world were mingling, negotiating or just debating just for fun.
我狂妄地意识到,我低估了我的竞争对手。来自世界各地的 2500 名代表在这里交头接耳,或进行谈判,或只是为了消遣而展开辩论。

Throughout the conference, strong opponents began to dominate all the events.
在整个会议期间,强劲的对手开始在所有项目中占据主导地位。

I became a follower making every effort to stay relevant and competitive.
我成了一个追随者,竭尽全力保持相关性和竞争力。

After the competition, I promised myself to never make the same mistake again.
比赛结束后,我向自己保证再也不犯同样的错误了。

I returned back to Shanghai with knowledge and ambition.
我带着知识和抱负回到了上海。

As the junior president of the UN, I wanted to be a competent and confident leader.
作为联合国的小主席,我希望成为一名称职而自信的领导者。

I reshaped the club by initiating after-school mock conferences to recreate the competitive atmosphere.
我重塑了俱乐部,发起了课后模拟会议,重新营造竞争氛围。

Countless hours of research, writing, and practices were spent together with the addition of weekend seminars to look over past competitions.
我们花了无数个小时进行研究、写作和练习,还在周末举办研讨会,回顾过去的比赛。

We aim to be more prepared for our next competition, the Harvard Model UN, China.
我们的目标是为下一次比赛--中国哈佛模拟联合国--做好更充分的准备。

That was the next one.
这是下一个。

Grade memories were created during the process.
在这个过程中,我们创造了许多美好的回忆。

Not only did I have the opportunity-- a choir, so a mystery team-- leadership skills from the senior officers.
我不仅有机会--一个合唱团,所以一个神秘的团队--从高级军官那里学到了领导技能。

I also made close friends with my fellow team members who were just strangers to me a few months ago.
我还与几个月前还很陌生的团队成员结成了好朋友。

During the HMUN conference, we let everyone know we were there when.
在 HMUN 会议期间,我们让每个人都知道我们在那里。

USA initially clashed with most of our ideas, but throughout delicate persuasion and excellent writing, we eventually brought them on board.
美国起初与我们的大多数想法相左,但通过细致的说服和出色的写作,我们最终说服了他们。

Our final resolution about refugees in Southeast Asian nations was so successful that both the USA and North Korea sponsored us.
我们关于东南亚国家难民问题的最终决议非常成功,美国和朝鲜都为我们提供了赞助。

Wow. 

After three nerve-wracking days, my partner and I were awarded the title Best Delegate.
经过三天的紧张角逐,我和我的搭档获得了最佳代表的称号。

I had truly experienced Stephen Colbert's advice that preparation is best done beforehand.
我真正体会到了斯蒂芬-科尔伯特(Stephen Colbert)的建议,即最好事先做好准备。

As the newly elected senior president of NUM, I plan to take this club to a brand new level.
作为新当选的 NUM 高级会长,我计划将俱乐部推向一个全新的高度。

The principal and directors had acknowledged NUN's past achievements and named NUN a model club.
校长和理事们肯定了 NUN 过去取得的成就,并将 NUN 命名为模范俱乐部。

I'm proud of the role I played in making NUN such a great success of my school.
我为自己在使我校的 NUN 取得如此巨大的成功中所发挥的作用感到自豪。

I will continue to support this club by sharing my experiences at NUN conferences while inspiring the next generation to do even better.
我将继续支持这个俱乐部,在 NUN 会议上分享我的经验,同时激励下一代做得更好。

He had some LORs too.
他也有一些 LORs。

Let's scan those. 让我们扫描一下。

I don't want to be a wet blanket on this one, but-- OK.
我不想在这个问题上喋喋不休,但是 -- 好吧。

Go ahead. 说吧

The-- that was all very compelling.
这些都很有说服力

And he does have compelling characteristics and areas of involvement outside the classroom.
而且,他在课堂之外确实有引人注目的特点和参与领域。

But Katie of Dell and I were analyzing the transcript, which is where we would probably spend a lot of time.
但我和戴尔的凯蒂正在分析记录稿,我们可能会在这方面花很多时间。

And for me, there are too many Cs to overlook in the area of the sciences.
对我来说,科学领域有太多的 C 不能忽视。

And for somebody who indicates or hints that they want to be a doctor, want to go to medical school, or they're going to attempt a pre-medical pathway, he has Cs in chemistry, he has Cs in physics, he has a midterm D in chemistry.
而对于那些表示或暗示自己想当医生、想上医学院,或者想尝试医学预科的人来说,他的化学成绩是 C,物理成绩是 C,化学期中考试成绩是 D。

This is like a hard no for me.
对我来说,这就像一个艰难的 "不 "字。

There are compelling characteristics, and their testing is lovely, but this would be a hard no.
它们有令人信服的特点,它们的测试也很可爱,但这很难被拒绝。

I'll quickly point out that the letters of recommendation were very good, both from humanities professors.
我很快就会指出,推荐信非常好,都来自人文学科的教授。

This school gives a lot of data to us, everyone, more than we normally see.
这所学校给了我们每个人很多数据,比我们平时看到的要多。

So I was kind of interested.
所以我有点感兴趣。

They actually give four grades per year, per class.
实际上,他们每年给每个班级打四次分数。

So they'll give us a midterm for the fall, a final for the fall, a midterm for the spring, and a final for the spring.
因此,他们会给我们秋季期中考试、秋季期末考试、春季期中考试和春季期末考试。

That's a lot for us to digest.
我们要消化的东西太多了。

And I was thinking, as I was telling Sean about that D midterm in chemistry, they didn't have to tell us that.
我在想,当我告诉肖恩化学期中考试 D 的时候,他们没必要告诉我们这些。

That was too much. 这太过分了。

Maybe it was too much information.
也许是信息太多了。

I'm not going to get it.
我不会得到它。

Yeah, the tone. 是的,语气。

I think honestly, it can only hurt a student in this case.
老实说,我认为在这种情况下,这样做只会伤害学生。

Like, if we didn't know they got that 68, if it wasn't there, it wasn't required.
比如,如果我们不知道他们拿到了那 68 块钱,如果不存在,那就不需要。

Because he did bring it up to an 84.
因为他确实提到了 84 岁。

I've been to meet to him on-- But it's there, and we can't not see it, right?
但它就在那儿 我们不能不看 对吧?

We can't unsee it. 我们无法不看到它。

So that's something to think about when you're working with your administration to determine what you got to do in the schools.
因此,当你和你的管理部门一起决定在学校里要做什么时,这一点值得考虑。

Because I can't really understand if you've seen this many grades from-- I don't know how you're-- Yeah, no, you don't see it very often.
因为我真的不明白 如果你见过这么多的成绩 我不知道你是怎么... 是啊,不,你不经常看到它。

I think sometimes the midyear are helpful.
我认为,有时年中会有所帮助。

And then we are not governing how you all think about grading and what sort of information you want to share.
此外,我们也没有管理你们如何看待分级以及你们想分享什么样的信息。

And we can take whatever and bring to it.
我们可以把任何东西带到这里来。

But I think just so that you all know, we then will look at every data element.
不过,我想大家都知道,我们接下来会研究每一个数据元素。

And what I think that's helpful is-- I think there's a couple things here.
我认为这很有帮助 我认为这里有两件事

I wonder whether he's taking a few tuning classes, where he's overstretching.
我在想,他是不是上了几堂调音课,在那里他过度拉伸了。

It doesn't have time for everything.
它没有时间处理所有事情。

And maybe that's why you see the grade pull up, but he's focusing.
也许这就是你看到成绩提高的原因,但他正在集中精力。

So what does that mean for how he might attend to his studies as we think about our curriculum, our demands, on our faculty?
那么,在我们考虑我们的课程、我们的要求、我们的教师时,这对他如何参加学习意味着什么呢?

I might think a little bit about that.
我可能会考虑一下。

I mean, I'm going back to that essay.
我的意思是,我要回到那篇文章。

I'm not sure. 我不确定。

Maybe I missed it, some of the real failure.
也许我错过了一些真正的失败。

So that's because the question was very specific.
这是因为问题非常具体。

And he wrote a nice story and all that good stuff.
他还写了一个很好的故事和所有这些好东西。

And he didn't even got person one in award.
而他甚至连一个奖项都没拿到。

But did he answer the question in a way that led our readers to say, this person follows directions.
但他回答问题的方式是否会让我们的读者说,这个人听从指挥。

So that was one of the things that I wondered about.
所以,这也是我想知道的事情之一。

I felt like it was what he would write, and he would send to any school.
我觉得这就是他要写的东西,他会寄给任何学校。

And he's just putting it into the question, because it's what he sent to summer writing.
他只是把它放到问题里,因为这是他寄给暑期写作的东西。

That's how I do that.
我就是这么做的。

Tweaking it, yeah. 调整一下

Yeah, because I'm assuming it was overconfidence that was his failure.
是的,因为我认为他的失败是因为过于自信。

I don't know what it was.
我不知道那是什么。

Well, see, again, that's an assumption, because he didn't-- to Adele's point, he didn't really call it out distinctly.
嗯,你看,这也是一种假设,因为他没有... ...对阿黛尔的观点,他并没有真正明确地指出来。

And also, that's kind of a walk-in-walk failure.
而且,这也是一种走马观花式的失败。

So-- There were also quite a few typos and mistakes throughout the essay.
所以--整篇文章还有不少错别字和错误。

I know John, you called out one.
我知道约翰,你叫了一个。

There were a few others that I noticed.
我还注意到其他一些情况。

Lots of prepositions at the end of the semester.
学期末有很多介词。

So I wonder how much-- if he had any help, if this is his authentic style, I would have some concerns.
所以我想知道,如果他有任何帮助,如果这是他的真实风格,我会有些担心。

And also, I guess the student didn't send a total 40% of testing, so we wouldn't really know for sure.
而且,我猜学生也没有寄来总计 40% 的测试结果,所以我们也无法确定。

Yeah, he's a US citizen abroad.
是的,他是美国海外公民。

OK, I'm glad to. 好吧,我很高兴。

Right. 

But we might wonder, though, even though the student is in an English curriculum, are there some communication and some language gaps based on what we're seeing, well, in terms of performance, as well as what we're seeing in writing?
不过,我们可能会想,虽然学生学习的是英语课程,但根据我们所看到的成绩以及写作情况,他们在交流和语言方面是否存在差距?

All right. 好的

So consensus on this? 对此达成共识了吗?

Eh. 诶。

Yeah. 是啊

I'm a little bit more empathetic after analyzing the transcript a little bit more deeply.
在深入分析了笔录之后,我更能感同身受了。

He's got a hard note.
他的音符很硬。

He said he was a wet-- was a wet one.
他说他是个湿人 是个湿人

He sure is. 他确实是。

He's not a hard note for me, as I initially thought.
对我来说,他并不像我最初想的那样是个难记的音符。

The curriculum isn't that bad.
课程并不差。

These are quite a few of these.
这样的情况还真不少。

Yeah. 是啊

I think we need a single office in that pool.
我认为,我们需要在这一人才库中设立一个办公室。

Sounds good, yeah. 听起来不错

All right. 好吧

Now, counselors, you guys are going to discuss this at your tables, as well.
现在,辅导员们,你们也要在自己的桌子上讨论这个问题。

What? 什么?

All right. 好的

Emilio Lopez. 埃米利奥-洛佩斯

Isn't that a star? 那不是一颗星星吗?

Estivette and Mario Lopez.
埃斯蒂维特和马里奥-洛佩斯。

And Mario. 还有马里奥

I'm dreaming. 我在做梦

OK. 好的。

Emilio is a male citizen, a dual citizen, from Italy in Paraguay.
埃米利奥是一名男性公民,拥有双重国籍,来自巴拉圭的意大利。

So international for all of us.
对我们所有人来说都是如此国际化。

Languages, he is a native speaker of Spanish.
语言方面,他的母语是西班牙语。

He's proficient in English and Guarani.
他精通英语和瓜拉尼语。

Parents are married. 父母已婚。

His father graduated trade school, and his mother attended some college. 95% of students attend four year, 5% attend two year.
他的父亲毕业于贸易学校,母亲上过一些大学。95% 的学生就读四年制大学,5% 就读两年制大学。

There are nine AP courses-- or he took-- sorry, nine AP courses.
有九门AP课程 -- 或者说他选修了 -- 抱歉,九门AP课程。

There were 11 on offer.
共提供 11 个。

His honors include National Honor Society, Presidential Education Excellence Award, and the National Art Award.
他获得的荣誉包括国家荣誉学会、总统教育卓越奖和国家艺术奖。

His GPA is a 4.0.
他的平均学分绩点是 4.0。

His SAT is a 1350, 740 out of 610.
他的 SAT 是 1350 分,满分 610 分,他考了 740 分。

His counselor assesses his curriculum as most demanding, and his intended major is Biological Sciences and Biochemistry.
他的辅导员认为他的课程要求最高,他打算主修生物科学和生物化学。

All right. 好的

Some students have a background or story that is so central to their identity that it will be their application would be incomplete without it.
有些学生的背景或故事对他们的身份非常重要,如果没有这些背景或故事,他们的申请将是不完整的。

This sounds like you, then please share your story.
这听起来像你的故事,那么请分享你的故事。

The first thing I saw was soot.
我首先看到的是煤烟。

The walls of the house were jet black.
房子的墙壁漆黑一片。

My hand got dirty. 我的手脏了

As I turned the door knob on the front door, I saw no damage on the tower level, on the lower level.
当我转动前门的门把手时,我看到塔楼和底层都没有损坏。

Oh, I broke the wrong glasses.
哦,我打碎了不该打碎的眼镜。

OK, everybody bear with me.
好了,大家听我说。

Even though window glass covered the floor, when I got upstairs, I looked through the remains of my door into what was my room.
尽管窗户玻璃铺满了地板,但当我上楼时,我还是透过残留的门缝看到了我的房间。

The cupboard that stored my paints was on the ground, streaked with bright reds, blues, and yellows.
存放颜料的柜子倒在地上,上面布满了鲜艳的红色、蓝色和黄色。

My mom's car collection had vanished.
我妈妈的汽车收藏消失了。

Pages of books were scattered on the ground.
书页散落在地上。

Solving, I embraced my mother.
解决了这个问题,我拥抱了母亲。

All I could think of is what would have happened if he had been hurt by the fire.
我满脑子想的都是,如果他被大火烧伤了会怎么样。

Embraced my brother, sorry.
拥抱我的兄弟,对不起。

A week later, I woke up on the couch where I had been sleeping comfortably.
一周后,我在沙发上醒来,我一直睡得很舒服。

I rose to my feet slowly, ticked out and threw the room so my brother and sister would not wake up.
我慢慢地站起来,"嘀 "地一声,扔出房间,以免弟弟和妹妹被吵醒。

As he left the bathroom, my dad handed me his bathtub.
离开浴室时,爸爸把他的浴缸递给了我。

Since the fire, I had shared the towel with my dad, my brother, my sister, and my mother.
火灾发生后,我和爸爸、哥哥、姐姐、妈妈一起共用毛巾。

And my mother got one to herself.
而我的母亲则独享了一个。

She showers more often. 她洗澡更勤了。

After I started using special hair coloring shampoo, my hair isn't colored, my mom's is.
在我开始使用专用染发洗发水后,我的头发没有染过色,但我妈妈的头发染过色。

I climbed out of the shower, got dressed, and sat down to eat as my siblings shared the paper.
我洗完澡,穿好衣服,坐下来吃饭,兄弟姐妹们一起分享报纸。

My mom told me it was my turn to do the dishes today.
妈妈告诉我,今天该我洗碗了。

I also had to wash the soot from the furniture.
我还得清洗家具上的烟灰。

My sister from the furniture, my sister from the clothing, and my brother from the floor.
家具上的姐姐、衣服上的妹妹和地板上的弟弟。

Yeah, it's soos. 是的,它是苏斯。

The fire that wrecked my bedroom required significant adjustments in my life.
我的卧室被大火烧毁后,我的生活需要做出重大调整。

I had not only lost my laptop and all of my clothes, but my books and my art portfolio as well.
我不仅丢了笔记本电脑和所有的衣服,还丢了我的书和我的艺术作品集。

Even though I lost almost all of my privacy for the year and was forced to live with my entire family and the living room, I felt it was sacrifice well rewarded.
尽管在这一年里我几乎失去了所有的隐私,被迫与全家人和客厅住在一起,但我觉得这是一种值得的牺牲。

Before the fire, my sister and I would complain every time we had tedious chores.
火灾之前,每次遇到繁琐的家务活,我和妹妹都会抱怨。

Then I had my own room and bathroom and never shared clothes with my brother or shampoo with my sister.
后来,我有了自己的房间和浴室,再也不和哥哥共用衣服,也不和妹妹共用洗发水了。

The house chores were all done by my mother while my house was undergoing repairs.
在我家修房子的时候,家务活都是母亲在做。

I had to learn to share, to be responsible for keeping up the house and to sacrifice pleasure for duties.
我必须学会分享,学会负责打理家务,学会为责任牺牲快乐。

Since then, the meals that my family was forced to eat together have now become customary.
从那时起,我家被迫一起吃的饭菜现在都成了习惯。

And I wake up for school every day in time, thanks to my brother's alarm clock.
多亏了哥哥的闹钟,我每天都能准时起床上学。

I have learned how to share everything from bathroom items to clothes, how to sacrifice my leisure time in order to contribute to my family's well-being, and most importantly, how to never take things for granted.
我学会了如何分享从浴室用品到衣服的一切,学会了如何牺牲自己的闲暇时间来为家庭幸福做贡献,最重要的是,学会了如何不把事情视为理所当然。

On the day of the fire, I snapped a picture of my room, the picture which won first prize in my amateur photography class, depicted this.
火灾当天,我拍下了一张我房间的照片,这张照片在我的业余摄影班上获得了一等奖。

In the middle of a room filled with ashes and debris, there was a window.
在堆满灰烬和碎片的房间中央,有一扇窗户。

Outside the window, the bright warm sunlight struck the palm trees in my back.
窗外,明媚温暖的阳光洒在我身后的棕榈树上。

When my classmates saw it, they asked how the painting in the middle of the room didn't burn in fire, in the fire.
我的同学看到后问,房间中间的那幅画怎么没被火烧掉?

It was only through their eyes that I saw that, that I saw it for the first time.
只有通过他们的眼睛,我才第一次看到了这一点。

I hadn't noticed it before.
我以前没注意到。

What could be seen through the window looks like a painting that survived the fire.
透过窗户看到的东西像是一幅在大火中幸存下来的画。

The resilience of the painting mirrored my own reality.
这幅画的韧性反映了我自己的现实。

My ability to thrive is an optimist in the midst of adversity.
我的茁壮成长能力是逆境中的乐观主义者。

Verse 15, sorry. 第 15 节,抱歉。

Lots of this all, the additional information just gets into his honors.
所有这一切,额外的信息只是进入了他的荣誉。

And you guys can start discussing, while I take a look at what a recommendation.
你们可以开始讨论,我看看有什么建议。

What do you think? 你怎么看?

It's so great. 太棒了

I'm a bit concerned about his essay.
我有点担心他的文章。

He did submit one letter of recommendation from a high school counselor, and it is well written, very much focused on yours.
他确实提交了一封来自高中辅导员的推荐信,信写得很好,非常关注你的情况。

And his grades are quite strong, actually.
事实上,他的成绩也相当不错。

So we-- Oh, biosciences. 哦,生物科学

And the school says they want research-- Yeah, let's review him real quick.
学校说他们要做研究 是的,让我们快速复习一下吧

He is a dual citizen in her way.
在她看来,他具有双重国籍。

Because y'all need to be great.
因为你们都需要变得伟大。

Yeah. 是啊

Although one second, we're going to hear first about the grades.
等一下,我们先来听听成绩。

Yeah. 是啊

So the thing's not-- So everyone, the students, as well, they have pretty much all A's, except one semester B in the 10th grade geometry.
学生们也是如此,他们的成绩几乎都是A,只有10年级几何课有一学期是B。

And a semester B plus in 11th grade is fanning literature.
而 11 年级一学期的 B 加分则是对文学的熏陶。

Well, and then there are-- Yeah, we have upper A, curriculum, and all their midterms are A's and A pluses.
是的,我们有高年级A课程 他们的期中考试都是A和A+

I don't know if it's A's, but English is not bad.
我不知道是不是 A,但英语还不错。

So feel free to go back to your questions.
请继续提问。

Is the 740 math or English?
740 分是数学还是英语?

740 is EBRW. 740 是 EBRW。

OK. 好的。

And the 610 is math.
而 610 就是数学。

Oh. 哦。

The letter of recommendation was particularly about his writing and the performance in his performance in plays, things like that.
推荐信特别提到了他的写作和在戏剧中的表现,诸如此类。

But-- 84 A's and 12 B's.
但是 84个A和12个B

Yeah. 是啊

[INAUDIBLE] [LAUGHTER] You can't put on this side.
[你不能放在这边

Yeah. 是啊

Or exploratory, it depends on the student.
或者是探索性的,这取决于学生。

Yeah. 是啊

So when you're reviewing their transcript, does A, A plus or A minus some schools has this difference in some schools?
那么,当你审查他们的成绩单时,A、A+或 A-minus,在某些学校是否有这种差别?

Only have A and B.
只有 A 和 B。

Does this matter? 这重要吗?

Stephanie Schwarz only was in an unweighted GPA, so they would get the school-- He's first gen.
斯蒂芬妮-施瓦茨只参加了非加权 GPA,所以他们会得到学校--他是第一代。

He's dual citizenship non-US. --more than a 4.0.
他拥有非美国双重国籍。--成绩超过 4.0。

He won. 他赢了

Stephanie Schwarz-- [INAUDIBLE] Oh, OK.
Stephanie Schwarz -- 哦,好的。

To Justin. 致贾斯汀

Oh, OK. 哦,好的

I would give him a U of I'd offer.
我会给他一个 U of I'd offer。

I like his awards. 我喜欢他获得的奖项。

And he tells the story of the award.
他还讲述了获奖的故事。

I'm super grateful. 我非常感激。

Yeah. 是啊

But I mean, so far, I think this is the most competitive candidate of the pool.
但我的意思是,到目前为止,我认为这是最有竞争力的候选人。

[INAUDIBLE] How about you, Alex?
[你呢,亚历克斯?

[INAUDIBLE] He's a dual citizen.
[他有双重国籍

Dual citizen, idly paragory.
双重国籍,游手好闲。

I don't see much of his side of the biomedicine, biocompatry.
我不太了解他在生物医学、生物复合学方面的情况。

I don't see a lot of his biosynthesis.
我看不出他有多少生物合成能力。

His whole thing is-- Well, and the sixth gen-- Yeah, he's very artsy person to me.
他的整个事情是 - 嗯,和第六代 - 是啊,他是非常艺术的人给我。

But I like his GPA.
但我喜欢他的 GPA。

I like his story. 我喜欢他的故事。

I like his dual citizenship.
我喜欢他的双重国籍。

I like-- You know, thinking about, like, for this school, he wants someone who's like a research-- They want research or service.
我喜欢 -- 你知道,想想看,就像,对于这所学校来说, 他想要一个像研究型的人 -- 他们想要研究型或服务型的。

So if he's doing biosciences and not medicine, that could be research.
因此,如果他从事的是生物科学而不是医学,那就可以算是研究。

But he doesn't really have much, like, things with biomedicine.
但他并没有什么生物医学方面的知识。

He doesn't really have research.
他没有真正的研究。

I know. 我知道

His essay means towards, like, humanist service.
他的文章意味着走向,比如,人文主义服务。

Yeah. 是啊

Compassion. 同情心。

Yeah, it's which grade level.
是的,是哪个年级的。

Maybe he put undecided. 也许他把犹豫不决。

He will get it. 他会明白的。

Yeah. 是啊

So they took, let's see, AP World History in 10th grade and got A's.
因此,他们在 10 年级选修了 AP 世界历史,并获得了 A。

Then they took-- in 11th grade, they took AP English language, AP Psychology, AP Studio Art, and AP US History, and again, got all A's.
然后,在 11 年级,他们选修了 AP 英语、AP 心理学、AP 工作室艺术和 AP 美国历史,并再次获得了全 A 的好成绩。

And this year, they're taking AP English literature, AP Environmental Science, AP Spanish Literature, and the second year at AP Studio Art.
今年,他们将选修 AP 英语文学、AP 环境科学、AP 西班牙文学,以及第二年的 AP 工作室艺术。

He doesn't have AP by.
他没有 AP。

He's got one science in an environmental science.
他有一门环境科学。

He doesn't have AP by.
他没有 AP。

The internet major is Biological Sciences and Biochemistry.
网络专业是生物科学和生物化学。

He doesn't have AP to camp or AP by.
他没有 AP 营地,也没有 AP。

That's the only thing that holds him back for me is the major.
对我来说,他唯一的缺点就是少校。

Yeah. 是啊

He's a biochemist. 他是一名生物化学家。

He's a particular literature.
他是一个特别的文学作品。

Yeah. 是啊

But is it offered at the school?
但学校提供这种服务吗?

Or, you know, there's a follow-up.
或者,你知道,还有后续。

Is it easier to get into the science student in the school and then switch your majors to an art student later?
在学校里考入理科生,之后再转专业成为艺术生,这样会更容易吗?

Yeah. 是啊

AP University is going to offer-- Oh.
AP 大学将提供

Is he going to be one of those sophomore flip-flops?
他会是那种二年级的 "翻转者 "吗?

Yes. 是的。

We do have the full list of AP classes.
我们有完整的 AP 课程表。

So they teach-- I think this must be it right now-- Calc A, B, Comparative Government, English Language, English Literature, Environmental Science, Psychology, US History, Studio Art, Spanish Language, and Literature, and Literature, and Art History.
所以他们教--我想现在一定是这样-- 微积分A、B、比较政府学、英语语言、英国文学、环境科学、心理学、美国历史、工作室艺术、西班牙语、文学、文学和艺术史。

So they don't even teach AP Bio.
所以他们甚至不教 AP 生物课。

Oh. 哦。

That's a very good question.
这是一个非常好的问题。

This is why school profiles matter.
这就是为什么学校简介很重要。

No. 

No. 

OK. 好的。

Well, that puts things in a much different perspective.
这样一来,事情就大不一样了。

Yeah. 是啊

I still lean on this as probably a yield for me.
我仍然认为这可能是我的一个收益。

[INAUDIBLE] What are they doing outside the classroom?
[他们在课外做什么?

OK. 好的。

Activities. 活动。

Yes. 是的。

[INAUDIBLE] OK. 好的

Some of the activities-- OK.
有些活动

[INAUDIBLE] I'll start with you.
[从你开始吧

I'm going to get this there.
我要把这个拿过去。

National Honor Society President in 12th grade, last president in 11th grade, where they sit-- That's service. --and raised over 25,000 in USD, whose fashion shows and dance competitions donated over a fifth to charities.
12年级时担任国家荣誉协会会长,11年级时担任上一任会长,他们坐在那里--那就是服务。--他们的时装表演和舞蹈比赛 为慈善机构捐赠了五分之一的资金

Community service in the 11th and 12th grade, head of children's workshop committee for religious activities.
十一年级和十二年级的社区服务,宗教活动儿童工作室委员会主任。

He's doing a ton of business.
他做了很多生意。

What is that? 那是什么?

Art? 艺术?

Oh, yes. 哦,是的。

Art awards in 9th, 10th, and 11th.
第 9、10 和 11 届艺术奖。

Oh, this is interesting. 哦,这可有意思了。

An actor on the set design committee for theater and drama in 11th and 12th grade, some cultural activities that are in Pairdway, Pairdway, and their class secretary and student government for 12th grade.
11 年级和 12 年级戏剧和话剧布景设计委员会的演员,Pairdway、Pairdway 的一些文化活动,以及 12 年级的班级秘书和学生会。

So there's a lot of [INAUDIBLE] 48 hours a week.
所以每周有 48 个小时的工作时间。

Yeah. 是啊

He's working 48 hours a week.
他每周工作 48 小时。

Well, yeah. 是啊

He's got to pay for the pair of his house.
他得为他的那对房子付钱。

OK. 好的。

That's crazy. 太疯狂了

Yeah. 是啊

Thanks. 谢谢。

Coming down. 下来了

All right. 好的

Adele's going to be our fill-down here, which is so little-- What do you think, Lex?
阿黛尔将会是我们的替补 你觉得呢,莱克斯?

[INAUDIBLE] Oh, bro. [哦,兄弟

Adele is over. 阿黛尔结束了

Oh, OK. 哦,好的

Would anybody like to share what they learned from their table discussion?
有谁愿意分享一下他们在同桌讨论中的收获?

What would you like to tell us about the student?
关于这名学生,您想告诉我们什么?

But even for his activities, nothing about bio.
但即使是他的活动,也没有任何关于生物的内容。

I know. 我知道

He could have done something outside of the school if this couldn't provide any resources.
如果学校不能提供任何资源,他可以在校外做点什么。

I might consider calling the school and being like, why did he pick-- No, they don't have time, baby.
我可能会考虑给学校打个电话 问问他为什么要选... 不 他们没时间 宝贝儿

He's an elite or something.
他是个精英什么的。

They can't. 他们不能。

Here is this rally. 这就是这次集会。

He's done quite well across the board.
他在各方面的表现都相当不错。

His math is a little bit weaker on the SATs, but I think in context of everything, he's a really strong student.
在 SAT 考试中,他的数学成绩稍弱一些,但我认为从各方面来看,他都是一个非常优秀的学生。

We think he's a really strong student.
我们认为他是一个非常优秀的学生。

OK. 好的。

Thank you. 谢谢。

Other comments? 其他意见?

So one big red alarm is that even if the school doesn't really provide anything about biochemistry, but even in his extracurricular activities, there's nothing show that he has related experiences or even just volunteers in any kind of maybe marine science or animal protection or animal shelter or anything related to that.
因此,一个大的红色警报是,即使学校没有提供任何有关生物化学的信息,但即使在他的课外活动中,也没有任何迹象表明他有相关的经历,甚至只是在海洋科学或动物保护或动物收容所或任何与此相关的志愿者。

So that makes me feel like maybe it's not him that wants to be a major in biochemistry.
这让我觉得,也许不是他想主修生物化学。

Maybe his parents want him to become a doctor or something like that, but I don't know whether that will be something that you guys were taking into consideration.
也许他的父母希望他成为一名医生或诸如此类的人,但我不知道你们是否会考虑到这一点。

This is definitely a standard case, but is this going to hurt his chance?
这绝对是一个标准的案例,但这会损害他的机会吗?

I would also point out, it looks like he's doing 48 hours a week of work, like full 48 hours a week of work outside of school.
我还想指出的是,他看起来每周工作 48 小时,相当于每周在校外工作 48 小时。

That's crazy. 太疯狂了

OK, so I just heard there are the numbers I'm not adding on with the activity.
好吧,我只是听说有一些数字我没有添加到活动中。

That was just two weeks a year, though.
不过,那只是每年两周的时间。

OK. 好的。

OK. 好的。

Any other comments? 还有其他意见吗?

There's that one. 就是这个。

There's the day one. 这是第一天。

Yeah. 是啊

OK, I'm walking around. 好吧,我四处走走。

In those four weeks. 在这四周里

Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah. 哦,是的,是的,是的。

All right. 好的

Nothing else? 没别的了?

Yeah, I'll come here and then you go.
是的,我过来,然后你走。

[INAUDIBLE] I mean, I think going back to the school goals or what they're looking for, I mean, service or anti-anxiety, you fix that so well.
[我的意思是,我认为回到学校的目标 或者他们正在寻找什么,我的意思是,服务或抗焦虑, 你解决得这么好。

But it really does bring up questions for me about just for US universities in general.
但这确实让我对美国大学的总体情况产生了疑问。

Like, I know the liberal arts colleges will be more flexible, but like, how important it is then that their intended major is so closely related to what they have done in their curriculum.
比如,我知道文理学院会更灵活一些,但是,他们的意向专业与他们的课程设置密切相关,这又有多重要呢?

I completely understand it.
我完全理解。

It does seem strange that nothing in his extracurricular point to something within the sciences.
奇怪的是,他的课外活动并没有指向科学领域。

But everything else to me just seems so much, like, you know, definite for me.
但对我来说,其他一切都显得那么,就像,你知道的,对我来说是确定的。

I'm not going to even put the table.
我连桌子都不想放了。

And that's something we would take here at the end.
这也是我们最后要做的事情。

We'll each share with you what our individual institutions would have decided about each of these things.
我们每个人都将与大家分享我们各自的机构会对这些事情做出怎样的决定。

So good point. 说得好

I hear a person on the table here, the extracurricular, but when I look at the mission or the goals of university, his activities are aligned with-- so it's a bit tricky, in terms of his application, not required.
我听到一个人在这里说课外活动,但当我看大学的使命或目标时,他的活动与------所以就他的申请而言,这有点棘手,不是必需的。

I'm also looking at the list of activities in the school profile, and I don't think they include them all, but it says they include National Arts Society, student government, class government, strong debate, global issues, network, community service, student publications, varsity basketball, and other varsity teams.
我还看了学校简介中的活动列表,我想他们没有包括所有活动,但上面说包括国家艺术协会、学生会、班级政府、强辩论、全球问题、网络、社区服务、学生刊物、校篮球队和其他校队。

So they actually don't make reference to any kind of science-related activities, so we didn't have access.
因此,他们实际上没有提到任何与科学有关的活动,所以我们没有机会接触。

I'll try to make this a little more-- Can you guys talk about your university?
你们能谈谈你们的大学吗?

I mean, I'm still wondering if he's wanting to switch majors for sophomore year and become an arts student.
我的意思是,我还在想他是不是想在大二转专业,成为文科生。

I mean, if it's for the UK, this is a big deal, but for Americans, we'll help out.
我的意思是,如果是对英国来说,这是件大事,但对美国人来说,我们会帮忙的。

We don't know. 我们不知道。

OK. 好的。

I mean, that's a real thing, though.
我的意思是,这倒是真的。

[INTERPOSING VOICES] I don't have cards for us.
[我没有我们的卡片

[INTERPOSING VOICES] I feel like he's maxing out what he can do at the school.
[我觉得他在学校的能力已经到极限了

OK. 好的。

Now I'm going to have Oprah think songs in my head all day.
现在我整天脑子里都会想着奥普拉的歌。

All right. 好的

So let's go first to our-- Well, what would be more helpful if I will leave this to you?
那么,让我们先来看看我们的 -- 好吧,如果我把这个留给你,什么会更有帮助?

It was going to have our panel share their decisions.
它将让我们的小组分享他们的决定。

Would you prefer to-- Yeah, let's do that.
是的,就这样吧

[LAUGHTER] [INTERPOSING VOICES] Are you treating them all individually, or is it only pretty if you decide to go?
[你是把他们都单独对待 还是只有你决定去的时候才漂亮?

No. 

No, it's all individual. 不,这都是个人行为。

This is-- Oh, OK. 好吧

OK. 好的。

Whether it's a PD, VA, whatever, it's all missing.
无论是 PD、VA 还是其他什么,都不见了。

John, you want an answer from us about whether-- as if we were Bethany Shores, the university representatives, and then a follow-up, respond to the-- I'll leave it as a long story.
约翰,你想从我们这里得到一个答案,就好像我们是伯大尼庄园大学的代表一样,然后再跟进,对--我就不长篇大论了--作出回应。

[INTERPOSING VOICES] Yes.
是的

[INAUDIBLE] [INAUDIBLE] So the three of us need to come to a consensus on each student?
[所以我们三个要就每个学生达成共识?

Yes. 是的。

OK. 好的。

So I think we already agreed that Ada was going to be in-- no, right?
所以我想我们已经说好了 艾达会在 - -不,对吧?

We were 12, 10, SAT, and some we already agreed.
我们当时分别是 12 岁、10 岁和 SAT,有些我们已经达成了共识。

Great. 好极了

[INTERPOSING VOICES] And I think the other thing, remember, testing is optional, but we have the information.
[我想还有一件事 记住 测试是可选的 但我们有信息

We understand it. 我们理解。

It's a data point used in context.
这是一个在背景下使用的数据点。

So it could be just not as competitive overall.
因此,可能只是整体竞争力不强而已。

Yeah, I agree with that.
是的,我同意这一点。

I think with Colled, we were talking about his impressive SAT in 1460.
我认为科莱德说的是他在 1460 年令人印象深刻的高考。

Even though his counselor did not seem to think that his curriculum was very strong, we actually disagree with that.
尽管他的辅导员似乎并不认为他的课程很强,但我们其实并不同意这种说法。

Overall, I thought the student was quite solid, even, again, also outside of his maybe attitude toward his essay and whatnot.
总的来说,我认为这名学生的表现相当出色,甚至,同样,他对自己的作文和其他东西的态度也很好。

So that's one that I would probably admit to Bethany Shores.
因此,我很可能会向贝瑟尼海岸承认这一点。

I agree. 我同意。

I like him. 我喜欢他

OK. 好的。

Me too. 我也是。

Gerald? 杰拉尔德?

So Gerald-- I don't know.
所以杰拉尔德 - 我不知道。

He's a tough one. 他很难对付。

Relatively good, I guess.
我想,相对来说还不错。

I mean, I think within the context of Bethany Shores and his high school, it makes sense to him.
我的意思是,我认为在 Bethany Shores 和他的高中范围内,这对他来说是有意义的。

I don't know. 我不知道。

I might vote to maybe offer a space on the wait list and see if we had room to accommodate him.
我可能会投票表决,也许会在候补名单上给他留出一个位置,看看我们是否有空间容纳他。

One of the things that came up frequently was whether or not the university needs to take into consideration the students demonstrated or the students major in any kind of demonstrate interest or experience that they might have in that particular area.
其中一个经常出现的问题是,大学是否需要考虑学生在该特定领域表现出的兴趣或经验,或学生的专业。

For Gerald, I think the rub for us was that he indicated he has an interest in an academic area and there were academic deficiencies.
对杰拉尔德来说,我认为我们的困难在于,他表示自己对某个学术领域感兴趣,但在学术方面存在缺陷。

Whereas in the case of Emilio, maybe his major didn't align with what he's been doing outside the classroom or what anything else in his application would suggest would align with the major, but there were no academic deficiencies.
而在埃米利奥的案例中,也许他的主修专业与他在课外所做的事情不一致,或者他申请表中的其他内容与主修专业不一致,但并没有学术上的缺陷。

He had a virtually flawless academic record.
他的学习成绩几乎完美无瑕。

So for Gerald, there was just this-- not only was there the disconnect, but it was the academic weaknesses were in exactly the area where he's saying that he's going to attempt a curriculum that would be really problematic for him.
因此,对杰拉尔德来说,不仅存在这种脱节现象,而且他的学业弱点恰恰就在他说要尝试的课程上,这对他来说确实是个问题。

So that's-- but then again, he did have really strong testing.
但话说回来 他的测试确实很强

So maybe he has the academic proficiency in those areas, but he's just not interested.
所以,也许他在这些方面有学术能力,但他就是不感兴趣。

Yeah, I think he's a student that has some promise, but I wouldn't use a spot for him right now.
是的,我认为他是一个很有前途的学生,但我现在不会用一个名额给他。

And I think-- I just wonder whether he overstretched, you know, just in terms of curriculum, because sometimes we see that.
我想,我只是想知道,他是否在课程设置方面捉襟见肘,因为有时我们会看到这种情况。

And I can imagine that as you work with students and parents, there's this pressure.
我可以想象,当你与学生和家长一起工作时,会有这样的压力。

The students believe more and more and more, let me tell them, I could take all these classes, but with everything else going on, it's just unrealistic and they can't use the proper attention.
学生们越来越相信,让我告诉他们,我可以选修所有这些课程,但由于还有其他事情要做,这根本不现实,而且他们也无法使用适当的注意力。

But I think this person has some chops to them, but maybe not right now.
不过,我觉得这个人还有点能力,但现在可能还不行。

I would wait with also because all the time here-- this essay talked about a lot of external work that he used during the weekend and evening work with the Model UN, and that was commendable.
我还想等一等,因为这里的所有时间--这篇文章谈到了他在周末和晚上与模拟联合国一起工作期间所做的大量外部工作,这是值得称赞的。

But that's work that he could have been putting towards his academics.
但他本可以把这些时间用在学业上。

All right. 好的

Great, so wait, this is Gerald, and then Emilio.
很好,等等,这是杰拉尔德,然后是埃米利奥。

I feel like we all-- Yeah, let's-- this, we want to get their book first.
我觉得我们都 - 是啊,让我们 - 这一点,我们希望得到 他们的书第一。

So, raising hand one per table.
所以,每桌举手一次。

Oh, so there must be consensus at the table.
哦,那么餐桌上一定达成了共识。

All right, so yes or no?
好吧,是还是不是?

Yes, yes, yes. 是的,是的,是的。

You just discuss. 你们只管讨论。

I like Emilio. 我喜欢埃米利奥。

I feel like where the American got talent, I would say yes.
我觉得如果美国人有天赋,我会说是的。

Yes, yes. 是的,是的。

The options are admit, waitlist, deny.
选项包括录取、候补、拒绝。

Everyone knows what they're going to do with their tables.
每个人都知道自己的桌子要做什么。

All right, so one hand per table, who would admit?
好吧,每桌一只手,谁愿意承认?

One, two, three, four. 一、二、三、四

We have seven solids. 我们有七个固体。

Okay, who would waitlist?
好吧,谁会在候补名单上呢?

[inaudible] Oh, is one changing?
[听不清] 哦,有一个在变吗?

Oh, okay. 哦,好吧

Waitlist. 候补名单。

Okay, anybody else for waitlist that didn't vote already?
好了,还有谁没有投票?

Okay. 好的

All right, so that was-- I'd like to hear about the waitlist.
好吧 我想听听候补名单的情况

Yeah, I'm going to come down there.
是啊,我要去那里。

I'm going to come down there.
我要下去看看。

All right, I'm coming. 好吧,我来了

We want to hear from you.
我们想听听您的意见。

Why waitlist? 为什么要等待?

Who's going to speak on behalf of the group?
谁代表小组发言?

You look like you want to share.
你看起来很想分享。

I think we just thought we were looking at what he wanted to study and maybe do a better off with the student.
我想,我们只是想看看他想学什么,也许能更好地帮助学生。

He doesn't really exactly match up with anything else in the application.
他与申请表中的其他内容并不完全吻合。

See how the rest of the class pans out.
看看班上其他同学的表现如何。

Was it because of the testing?
是因为测试吗?

Yeah, and the math test day was about 39.
是啊,数学考试那天是39分左右。

Just as much fun. 一样有趣

Oh, yeah, he's math. 哦,是的,他是数学。

Okay, so what I think we heard is a little softness in the math testing and then maybe a slight disconnect with-- I shouldn't have come back up here.
好吧,我想我们听到的是数学测试有点软弱无力,然后可能与------我不应该再上来了------有点脱节。

I see that. 我明白了。

All right, come on. 好吧,来吧。

No, no, we want to hear you.
不,不,我们想听你说。

Come on. 来吧

Just taking a battery, please.
只需要一块电池,谢谢。

Yeah. 是啊

You're welcome. 不客气。

I would look at the context of a region or country.
我会看一个地区或国家的背景。

For example, there are some countries where medicine is very prestigious.
例如,有些国家的医学很有声望。

Some feminists might say that one of the child, you will go to medicine, the other will be a lawyer.
有些女权主义者可能会说,你的孩子一个要学医,另一个要当律师。

So a person who knows the context of that region would probably help to decide.
因此,一个了解该地区背景的人可能会有助于做出决定。

Because of that, waitlisting maybe.
正因为如此,也许要排队等候。

So I think-- thank you for that, because I hear a couple things in it.
所以我想-- 谢谢你,因为我从中听到了一些东西。

Uh-oh, I'm not going to make a comment here.
啊哦,我不想在这里发表评论。

Come on, excuse me. 拜托,失陪一下

I just have a concern about the issue of the school.
我只是担心学校的问题。

Even though the school didn't offer any legal assistance, the school's cost support, but he may find out some way to do it, or maybe he need to show it in his additional information, that how come he wants to do the major in biological science, something like that.
尽管学校没有提供任何法律援助,但他可能会找到一些办法,或者他需要在补充资料中说明,他为什么想学习生物科学专业,诸如此类。

And also I think the SAT test is-- yeah.
我觉得SAT考试也是

Compare with Chinese students in Israel.
与在以色列的中国学生相比。

He got a very high GPA, so I'm concerned about the background that he got in the SAT school.
他的 GPA 很高,所以我很担心他在 SAT 学校的背景。

Yeah. 是啊

Okay. 好的

One more? 再来一个?

Yeah. 是啊

I'd also wonder just how comfortable are we with the idea that maybe his sophomore year he does switch majors to art or pivots to something else, because that happens all the time.
我还想知道,如果大二那年他真的改学艺术或转到其他专业,我们是否能接受,因为这种情况经常发生。

Yeah. 70% of the college freshmen change in the year.
是啊,70%的大学新生都在一年内换过。

I always remind parents I changed mine four times.
我总是提醒家长,我的孩子已经换了四次了。

I gave my dad an ulcer, but I still graduated in four years.
我让我爸爸得了溃疡,但我还是在四年内毕业了。

Two degrees in honor, so.
两个荣誉学位

Yeah, I think y'all have raised really important points.
是的,我认为你们都提出了非常重要的观点。

Very good. 非常好

And I think one of these things, remember, this is a student with dual citizenship who's not dual US citizenship.
我认为其中有一件事,请记住,这是一个拥有双重国籍的学生,而不是拥有双重美国国籍的学生。

So their family is looking at investing in a US education out of the country far away from home, and you wouldn't be surprised.
因此,他们的家庭考虑在远离家乡的国外投资接受美国教育,你不会感到惊讶。

I'm not surprised that they may be thinking about the level of prestige if they're coming back to their home country, what are they doing there.
如果他们回到自己的祖国,可能会考虑声望的高低,他们在那里做什么,我对此并不感到惊讶。

So there's a lot of things and we can't fault students if they're in places where they don't have courses for the students to take.
因此,有很多事情,如果学生所在的地方没有课程供学生选修,我们也不能责怪他们。

You know, we said what they had, things they don't have, so we can't really hold that against them.
你知道,我们说了他们有的东西,他们没有的东西,所以我们真的不能拿这个来指责他们。

But we have to assess do we think there's enough there that they can meet our faculty where they are and find some success.
但我们必须评估,我们是否认为他们有足够的能力满足我们教师的需求,并取得一定的成功。

Alright, I'm going to just stay down.
好吧,我就躺下了。

Until it's over. 直到结束。

I'm sorry. 对不起

I'm wondering if Peter Platton decided, and then, so this wouldn't even really be a discussion like this, and then later on decided he wanted bio.
我在想,是不是彼得-普拉顿决定了,然后,这样就不会有这样的讨论了,后来他又决定要做生物实验。

What do you think about that discussion?
你对这一讨论有什么看法?

One of the things that I'm curious about is how we can be very difficult for him to be accepted into a medical school in the US.
我很好奇的一件事是,为什么他很难被美国的医学院录取。

So if he's intending on studying medicine, you know, is that really the right path for him to take?
那么,如果他打算学医,你知道,这真的是他应该走的路吗?

In his background, one of the things that we would, if he was adamant in studying in the US, we would, and our counseling office, career counseling, would start working with him to look at Caribbean medical schools.
就他的背景而言,如果他执意要去美国学习,我们的咨询办公室(职业咨询)就会与他一起开始考察加勒比地区的医学院校。

Which are still accredited through US.
其中仍通过美国认证。

So it's pretty easy to come back and get your residency in life.
因此,回来获得居住权是非常容易的。

Yeah, there's some, like I know, I think some Irish medical school.
是的,有一些,比如我知道的一些爱尔兰医学院。

Yeah, you speak Gourhani.
你会说古尔哈尼语

That's Paraguay. 那就是巴拉圭。

But I mean, like, if he's from, like, he's from Paraguay, like I know some South American countries, it's better for you to do your medical training in the country rather than try to do it abroad and come back.
但我的意思是,如果他来自巴拉圭,就像我知道的一些南美国家一样,最好是在国内接受医学培训,而不是出国后再回来。

Yeah, so. 是啊

I just wanted to ask if this university admits students to a specific major or if students aren't made into a college because I feel that the kid would be free for the university but not for that specific major.
我只想问,这所大学是招收特定专业的学生,还是不招收特定专业的学生。

So I'm wondering if, like, it can be accepted and offered another option or, like, given some time to explore options before deciding who we're all studying here that maybe the parents were pressuring him, knowing to, like, go into something that is not the arts, which happens a lot.
所以我想知道,是否可以接受,并提供另一种选择,或者,在决定我们都在这里学习的人之前,给他一些时间来探索选择,也许父母在给他施压,让他去做一些不是艺术的事情,这种情况经常发生。

So, yeah. 所以,是的。

He could accept it. 他可以接受。

Bethany Shores, because they fundamentally liberal arts.
Bethany Shores,因为他们从根本上讲是文科。

They admit. 他们承认

They just take every, they don't have a college of this.
他们只是把每一个,他们没有这所大学。

I wanted to ask a question about the importance of the recommendation letters, teacher recommendation letters.
我想问一个关于推荐信(教师推荐信)的重要性的问题。

For example, the students of Spanish and the teacher is from a Spanish teacher who's a Spanish, like, how not useful it is or how relatively useful it is because students are always asking, who should I approach for a education letter?
例如,西班牙语专业的学生和老师都是来自西班牙语专业的西班牙语老师,就像,它有多不有用,或者说它有多相对有用,因为学生们总是在问,我应该找谁写教育信?

You know, what. 你知道吗?

I can tell you, Emilio's was his psychology teacher, his APCite teacher, and the studio arts director.
我可以告诉你,埃米利奥的老师是他的心理老师、APCite 老师和工作室艺术总监。

Well, given his activities and that he also had a class in that, I would say that's relevant.
鉴于他的活动,而且他还上过这方面的课,我认为这是有关联的。

Yeah. 是啊

John, I think we had one more science teacher recommendation, too.
约翰,我想我们还有一位科学老师的推荐信。

Oh, I missed that. 哦,我错过了。

There was a science teacher.
有一位科学老师。

Super positive. 超级积极

So all three of his recommendations, great.
所以他的三个建议都很好。

One, since the school was the operating AP, biology, AP, natural sciences, because in different AP, like, AP, natural sciences courses, my case, I recommend my students to take some courses online and there will be some free college.
其一,因为学校是经营 AP、生物、AP、自然科学的,因为在不同的 AP,比如 AP、自然科学课程中,我的情况是,我建议我的学生在网上选修一些课程,会有一些免费的大学课程。

Oh, like, of course, Sarah.
哦,当然了,莎拉

So he has taken, like, any biology, AP biology online and making a difference.
因此,他在网上选修了任何生物学课程、AP 生物学课程,并有所作为。

It wouldn't. 不会的。

He's searching for the other options out of school because the school, it was not very critical that operating AP level science classes.
他正在寻找校外的其他选择,因为学校开设的 AP 级科学课程并不十分关键。

What most of us are looking for is that students had taken what was available to them in the school.
我们大多数人都在寻找的是,学生们已经利用了学校所能提供的一切。

Exactly. 没错。

So that would not penalize them.
因此,这不会对他们造成惩罚。

That definitely would not have the expectation that he would go above and beyond what is offered in school.
这肯定不会让他有超越学校教育的期望。

His school offers what it offers and he exhausted the curriculum.
他的学校提供什么,他就用尽所有的课程。

I mean, he, I wouldn't have the expectation that he would seek an AP course outside of his high school or take an online college course.
我的意思是,我不会期望他在高中之外选修 AP 课程,或者选修大学在线课程。

I didn't see any deficiency in his high school academic record.
我没发现他的高中学习成绩有任何不足。

All right. 好的

So let's move on and hear from our committee.
下面请委员会发言。

What would each of you decide about a meal video as a group?
你们每个人将如何决定集体用餐视频?

As a committee for me?
作为我的委员会?

As a committee for me, sure.
作为我的委员会,当然可以。

How many can we invent?
我们能发明多少?

As many in a row.
一排那么多。

All right. 好的

We can invent all of them.
我们可以发明所有这些。

All right. 好的

Normally committees are never given that information.
通常情况下,委员会是不会得到这些信息的。

No, no, no. 不,不,不

Okay. 好的

It's an essay, I mean.
我是说,这是一篇散文。

Oh, okay. 哦,好吧

Absolutely. 当然可以。

And to your point, Adele, if we did have the capacity, where would he rank among these four?
至于你的问题,阿黛尔,如果我们真的有能力,他会在这四个人中排第几?

I think we'd probably duke it out between Emilio and Alec.
我想我们可能会在埃米利奥和亚历克之间决出胜负。

I think those would be the two that would.
我想这两个就是了。

And they're really different.
他们真的很不一样。

You know, they bring different things to the community.
你知道,他们给社区带来了不同的东西。

They're both very strong approaching their academics through different ways.
他们都以不同的方式对待自己的学业,都非常强大。

Even their personalities and what they're doing.
甚至是他们的性格和他们在做什么。

They would both add something different to the dynamic of the music.
他们都会为音乐增添不同的活力。

And they're coming from two totally different parts of the world as well.
他们来自世界上两个完全不同的地方。

All right. 好的

Now let's hear individually from our institutions.
现在让我们分别听听各机构的意见。

Let's look at Ada again.
让我们再来看看艾达。

Which of you would like to say what your institution would likely do with Ada?
有谁想说说贵机构可能会如何处理 Ada?

Tulane, we would not offer admission Ada.
杜兰大学,我们不会录取阿达。

That would be the same in English.
这在英语中也是一样的。

You're not eating that. 你不能吃那个

Same in English. 英语也一样。

I do. 我是这么想的。

Khalid. 哈立德

And Tulane would probably argue about it.
杜兰大学可能会为此争论不休。

And there would probably be some folks that would say they wouldn't want to admit him because he's not the nicest guy in the world.
可能会有一些人说他们不想录取他,因为他不是世界上最好的人。

But I would overrule and say I would want to admit him.
但我会否决,说我想录取他。

In any way, it would really depend on the school and the major that he applied to.
无论如何,这都取决于他申请的学校和专业。

So he couldn't apply to both political science and engineering.
因此,他无法同时申请政治学和工程学。

He would have to pick either Tandon for engineering and even, it gets even more nuanced there, the major within Tandon as you learned yesterday.
他将不得不选择工程学专业的坦登,甚至,正如你们昨天所了解的那样,坦登内部的专业也会变得更加微妙。

If he'd applied to political science in the College of Arts and Science, I would say it would be a no.
如果他申请的是文理学院的政治学专业,我想他会拒绝的。

He would not be quite at that level.
他还达不到那个水平。

If he applied to like undeclared engineering or maybe computer engineering, Sybil, one of those majors that might be still competitive and not quite at the same level as computer science, I think he actually might have a decent shot.
如果他申请的是未定专业的工程学,或者计算机工程学,Sybil,这些专业可能还是有竞争力的,但和计算机科学不在一个水平线上,我觉得他其实还是有机会的。

So it just depends. 所以要看情况而定。

I would say for engineering, depending upon the type of engineering, maybe he might squeak in or he might end up on the waiting list.
我想说的是,就工程学而言,取决于工程学的类型,也许他能勉强被录取,也许他最终会被列入候补名单。

If he were just applying to political science, he might have a little bit of a better chance.
如果他只是申请政治学,可能机会会大一点。

And let me just say one of the differences at the University of Michigan is we don't admit specifically to major for the most part, except for some of our most competitive areas.
我只想说,密歇根大学的一个不同之处在于,除了一些竞争最激烈的专业外,我们在大多数情况下都不招收特定专业的学生。

So if he's applying to political science, it would just be the liberal arts college and likely would be more competitive in that space.
因此,如果他申请的是政治学,那就只能是文理学院,很可能在这个领域更有竞争力。

Can you give more insight as to why political science is more than political engineering?
您能否进一步说明为什么政治学比政治工程学更重要?

So political science in NYU falls under the College of Arts and Science and actually, similarly, we don't admit two majors in the College of Arts and Science in NYU except for the BADDS Dental Program.
因此,纽约大学的政治学隶属于文理学院,实际上,同样地,除了 BADDS 牙科项目,纽约大学的文理学院也不招收两个专业。

But beyond that, all the other majors, it's pretty much just a general admission to CAS because we know they'll probably change their mind later on.
但除此之外的所有其他专业,几乎都只是中科院的普通录取,因为我们知道他们以后可能会改变主意。

So we're really looking at him in the context of the applicant pool for the College of Arts and Science and his academics are just not going to be quite at that level where we would be able to take him with that less than 5% acceptance rate to the college.
因此,我们确实是根据文理学院的申请人数来考虑他的,而他的学业成绩还达不到那个水平,我们无法在录取率不到 5%的情况下录取他。

Tandon is a little bit different because they are reading by nature.
Tandon 有点不同,因为他们天生喜欢阅读。

They have very specific enrollment targets depending on where they're applying and some programs, to be very frank, are more competitive than others and are able to maybe dip a little bit lower than others.
坦率地说,有些项目比其他项目更有竞争力,可能会比其他项目低一些。

So again, it would just be very dependent on which program.
所以,还是要看是哪个项目。

And at Indiana University, it's almost reversed.
而在印第安纳大学,情况几乎相反。

Our political science program is in our Hamilton-Luber School and that's fairly open.
我们的政治学课程设在汉密尔顿-卢伯学院,相当开放。

It's growing. 它在增长。

So he would be probably not directly admitted to HLS but he would, as a polyside, we would offer him University Division which means general admission with a declared interest and he can work towards polyside.
因此,他可能不会被直接录取到高等商学院,但作为多学科学生,我们会向他提供大学部的录取通知书,这意味着他只要有申报的兴趣,就可以获得普通录取,并为多学科学生而努力。

The Luddy School of Engineering is much more...
Luddy 工程学院不仅仅是......

Actually, it would depend.
实际上,这要看情况而定。

If he was going for artificial intelligence systems engineering, probably not.
如果他要学人工智能系统工程,可能就不行了。

But he could still be admitted, again, University Division with intended engineering.
但他仍然可以被录取,同样是大学部的工程学专业。

However, if he was applying computer engineering, computer science, sure.
不过,如果他申请的是计算机工程、计算机科学,当然可以。

He'd be directed there. 他会被引导到那里。

If he had a ZUS citizenship, would he be admitted?
如果他有 ZUS 国籍,他能被接纳吗?

It would make no difference.
这没有任何区别。

And I feel confident that that would be the case with all of us.
我相信,我们所有人都会如此。

Students are assessed regardless of citizenship.
对学生的评估不分国籍。

It wouldn't matter if it was a ZUS citizen or not.
是否是 ZUS 公民并不重要。

So, before we move on, there's some light-breaking information.
所以,在我们继续前进之前,有一些爆炸性的信息。

We have an indented application.
我们有一个缩进应用程序。

That's what happens. 事情就是这样。

So, hold on. 所以,等一下。

I was sharing this with you.
我在和你分享这个。

I was actually just looking at final grades and ultimately that would be about a...
实际上,我只是在看期末成绩,最终这将是一个...

We said like a 3-9, I think, weighted GPA.
我们说的加权 GPA 大概是 3-9。

But if you dig a little bit deeper, because this school gives trimester grades, so we have fall, winter, and spring.
但是,如果你再深入一点,因为这所学校给出的是三个月的成绩,所以我们有秋季、冬季和春季。

In ninth grade, there was actually a trimester F in intro to computers for our friend, Pallad.
九年级的时候,我们的朋友 Pallad 在计算机入门课上得了一学期的 F。

So, if that changes anyone's minds, just put it out there.
所以,如果这能改变任何人的想法,就说出来吧。

Probably that would probably move them to the waitlist from Delaney.
这样一来,他们很可能会从德莱尼转入候补名单。

And do it for an FHR student.
并为一名 FHR 学生做这件事。

Well, one thing, in a previous role, I was at the University of California.
有一件事,我之前在加利福尼亚大学工作。

And there, they don't even really look at the first-year grade.
在那里,他们甚至都不看一年级的成绩。

So, they're looking at 10th, 11th, and 12th.
因此,他们正在寻找第 10、11 和 12 名。

So, I'm only just saying that every school is a little bit different.
所以,我只是想说,每所学校都有些不同。

So, those English officers would see this, and they would just see the three years of progress.
因此,那些英国官员看到这个,就会看到三年来的进步。

We will need to actually use ninth grade if it's required at...
如果九年级需要,我们将需要实际使用。

Or if it's part of secondary school in that country.
或者,如果它是该国中学的一部分。

Wait, hold up. 等等

So, we're looking at ninth grade, not 12th grade.
所以,我们现在看的是九年级,而不是十二年级。

So, the F was in ninth grade.
所以,F 是在九年级的时候。

We were trying this early on, but still, quite a bit of note.
我们很早就开始尝试了,但还是有很多注意事项。

We just wanted to be transparent with our community.
我们只是想对社区保持透明。

And that was actually, it was a pass/fail class, so we had a grade of P for the year.
实际上,这是一门及格/不及格的课,所以我们这一年的成绩是 P。

So, we didn't fail to pass.
所以,我们没有失败。

We just got a 1F in a trimester.
我们刚刚在三个月内得到了一个 1F.

He'd be the same with us.
他对我们也是一样。

He would go to committee.
他会去委员会。

He would definitely go to committee, but I suspect he'd be a good group.
他肯定会进入委员会,但我怀疑他会是一个很好的小组。

I like him less than his personality, than I do for his grade.
我喜欢他,不是因为他的个性,而是因为他的成绩。

So, Gerald Wu. 那么,杰拉尔德-吴。

What would Bethany Shores do with Gerald?
贝瑟尼海岸会把杰拉尔德怎么样?

His recommendation was to go to Bethany Shores.
他建议去伯大尼海岸。

I think we would wait for Bethany Shores.
我想我们会等到 Bethany Shores。

No, we'd just hear from them.
不,我们只是听听他们的意见。

We'd probably land at a wait list or deny.
我们可能会被列入候补名单或被拒绝。

Yeah, I was thinking something similar.
是啊,我也有类似的想法。

We're probably waiting list or deny.
我们可能在等待或拒绝。

We're probably denying. 我们可能会否认。

The University of Michigan first year applicant pool, it was upwards of 90,000.
密歇根大学一年级的申请人数多达 9 万多人。

So, in that pool, probably in.
所以,在那个池子里,可能在。

Yeah, you would likely wait list.
是的,你很可能要排队等候。

Alright, and Emilio, I think we all agreed.
好吧,埃米利奥,我想我们都同意。

And Ned for Bethany Shores, yeah.
奈德代表贝瑟尼海岸,是的。

And Sean? 肖恩呢?

You definitely admit Emilio Tulane and would likely throw him a lot of merit scholarship dollars to get him to come to Tulane.
你肯定会录取埃米利奥-杜兰大学,而且很可能会给他一大笔奖学金,让他来杜兰大学。

It's a tough one for NYU.
这对纽约大学来说是个难题。

I wish he applied test optional, you know.
你知道,我希望他能申请可选考试。

Yeah. 是啊

With his academic background and everything, he would have been fantastic and I think we would have admitted him no problem.
以他的学术背景和一切条件,他一定会非常出色,我想我们录取他是没有问题的。

With that SAT being thrown in the mix, maybe wait list.
有了 SAT 的加入,也许就有了候补名单。

I don't know. 我不知道。

It depends. 这要看情况。

The committee would have to take this one.
委员会将不得不接受这个建议。

I don't know if I can really get him to the level of an invention, but maybe off the wait list later on.
我不知道我是否真的能让他达到发明的水平,但也许以后会从等待名单上除名。

Yeah, I think we might take him at Michigan, but we would have no scholarship dollars to offer.
是的,我认为我们可能会在密歇根录取他,但我们没有奖学金可以提供。

Yeah, we would admit that I knew, but he may qualify for some global engagement, but it would be small.
是的,我们会承认我知道,但他可能有资格参与一些全球活动,但规模很小。

That's why he's going to Tulane?
这就是他去杜兰大学的原因?

That's right. 这就对了。

That sounds fantastic. 这听起来太棒了。

All right, so in the last three minutes for each of you, what surprised you?
好吧,那么在最后三分钟里,你们每个人都有什么感到惊讶的?

What stood out? 什么最突出?

What did we seem to spend the most time on?
我们似乎在什么问题上花的时间最多?

First generation college kid.
第一代大学生

And shout it out. 大声喊出来

Shout it out. 大声喊出来

4.0 GPA. 平均绩点 4.0。

The academics. 学术界

Yeah, that is where we spend the most time.
是的,那是我们花时间最多的地方。

And I will say that how we just read these applications, if I had a reader who could only do four and this time.
我想说的是,如果我有一个读者只能做四个,而这次我们只是阅读这些应用程序。

This time period, we'd have a performance issue.
这段时间,我们会遇到性能问题。

So you know, thank you for saying that because we would not have spent nearly this much time on any known individual file.
所以,谢谢你这么说,因为我们不会在任何已知的单个文件上花费这么多时间。

We don't have that kind of time.
我们没有那么多时间。

We would not be sitting at Judy Kate at the table.
我们不会坐在朱迪-凯特的餐桌旁。

There's no way to be with pace and get through the work.
没有办法既能跟上节奏,又能完成工作。

Five minutes max usually. 10 minutes.
通常最多五分钟。10分钟

It's a really complicated.
这真的很复杂。

So what did you question then?
那你是怎么质疑的?

Because of the time frame that you have, what would be the most important points to have on a child's application?
由于时间有限,孩子的申请表上最重要的内容是什么?

One of the points that you have to have, and the stuff that we can like have or don't have is not a big deal for you guys.
你们必须具备的一点是,我们可以有或没有的东西对你们来说都不是什么大问题。

One of the most crucial things.
最关键的事情之一。

I think we have to start with the academics.
我认为我们必须从学术入手。

They have to start with the child's.
他们必须从孩子做起。

Yeah, I think the school profile puts the academics in context, you know, kind of answering some of those questions that kind of surfaced.
是的,我认为学校的情况说明了学术的背景,你知道,这算是回答了一些浮出水面的问题。

What's really offered was the curriculum because that's going to tell us a lot before you even get to is the writing flat or what is the counselor saying.
真正提供的是课程,因为这将告诉我们很多东西,甚至在你写得平平或者辅导员说什么之前。

So I think that that is really most critical.
因此,我认为这才是最关键的。

Yeah. 是啊

Great question. [inaudible] One thing that really surprised me is that gender and then country doesn't really matter because, you know, when I was thinking about it, like, you know, a boy who is applying for engineering will be harder to be admitted than College of Arts and Science.
问得好[听不清] 有一件事让我很惊讶,那就是性别和国家其实并不重要,因为,你知道,当我在想这个问题的时候,比如,你知道,一个申请工程学院的男生会比申请文理学院的男生更难被录取。

For example, if a student that has a science background, should I encourage him to apply for the College of Engineering or College of Arts and Science because it may both have like something related to science.
例如,如果一个学生有理科背景,我应该鼓励他申请工程学院还是文理学院,因为这两个学院可能都有与理科相关的专业。

But I mean, like today I heard like, I think we could give you easy advice that you could apply to all colleges and universities.
但我的意思是,就像今天我听到的那样,我想我们可以给你一些简单的建议,你可以申请所有的大学。

Because even just in these examples, you've seen different scenarios where what might be underrepresented in Indiana might be overrepresented at NYU and vice versa.
因为即使只是在这些例子中,你也会看到不同的情况,在印第安纳可能代表人数不足,在纽约大学可能代表人数过多,反之亦然。

So certainly we could give you an easy answer.
因此,我们当然可以给你一个简单的答案。

But to the very first part of your observation, gender and country of citizenship, those absolutely would come up as talking points or as part of the conversation in our committee.
但对于你的第一部分意见,即性别和国籍,这些绝对会成为我们委员会的谈话要点或谈话的一部分。

Under representation in gender in any particular academic area and just citizenship and any kind of international diversity that a student would bring to the table absolutely would be.
在任何特定的学术领域,性别代表性不足、公民身份和学生带来的任何形式的国际多样性都是绝对存在的问题。

And that's really what made Emilio most compelling for the way that I thought about his candidacy.
这也是埃米利奥最吸引我的地方,让我想到了他的候选资格。

So I'll just quickly say for University of Michigan, we would definitely look at representation throughout the world and country of origin.
因此,我只想简要地说,就密歇根大学而言,我们肯定会考虑在世界各地和原籍国的代表性。

But we are not allowed.
但我们不被允许。

It's not permissible to admit people based on gender.
不允许以性别为依据录取学生。

That's like one of the biggest differences between public and private universities.
这就是公立大学和私立大学最大的区别之一。

Yeah, I'm with the Delta.
是的,我支持德尔塔。

Indiana can't do that. 印第安纳州做不到这一点。

But we can. 但我们可以。

And to the country, there are some states that impose caps on international or out of state enrollment.
在国内,有些州对国际学生或州外学生的入学人数规定了上限。

International will count as out of state.
国际学生将被视为州外学生。

So an LNG is a year.
所以,液化天然气是一年。

The third week. 第三周

So you have a resident to like put in a file and then start from all the states.
这样,你就有了一个居民,可以把他放到一个文件里,然后从所有的州开始。

Yeah, so at University of Michigan, we are required to have at least 50-ish percent Michigan residents.
是的,在密歇根大学,我们要求至少有 50% 左右的密歇根居民。

And then the rest of the nation and the world make up 49%.
全国和世界其他地区占 49%。

And so that's where we have the lion's share of those applications.
因此,这也是我们的主要应用领域。

So it is more competitive.
因此,竞争更加激烈。

So your international students are in a pool of all of the non-resident, non-issued students and you're competing for limited slots.
因此,你们的国际学生与所有非居民、非签发签证的学生一起,竞争有限的名额。

So that's probably one of the big differences.
因此,这可能是最大的区别之一。

Same, same at IU. 国际大学也一样。

We have to keep around 50.
我们必须保持在 50 人左右。

All right, I think we are over time now and I'm keeping you from lunch.
好吧,我想我们现在已经超时了,我耽误你吃午饭了。

So now the lunch is also delicious.
所以,现在的午餐也很美味。

So I hand for our panelists.
因此,我请小组成员发言。

And a special thank you to Miss Oprah.
还要特别感谢奥普拉小姐。

Thank you. 谢谢。

[INAUDIBLE] [听不清]